Onion, Garlic from true seed not bulblets

In my front yard next to garage, the previous owners replaced the lawn with stones. I guese they where going for increased parking space. I have my Goji berry there that does quite well and a few volunteer mulberries that I am starting to graft over wish me luck. I’m about the get the leaf blower out to clean it up as a vortex forms and traps leaves when I noticed these wild Allium glowing in the stones. I pulled that one and I was like hot dam look at the size of that sucker get me some seeds asap. So thats where I am going to find what ever true onion, garlic and leek seeds and broadcast them. I previously created a perennial patch of chives in a bathtub if that tells you anything about me.

4 Likes

I’ve often been tempted to plant field garlic in a nice garden bed and see if it gets bigger than when it has to compete in a lawn. I’ve seen some growing wild that get barely into a useable size, like the smallest cloves you might find on a regular garlic bulb. I think there’s potential.

3 Likes

That bulb was a fluke i think. When I pulled it it was surrounded by a half dozen baby bulbs. given another year it would likely be a matt of baby bulbs like the ones I pull from my back yard. I am not looking to improve the wild allium just maybe find a competition free area i can grow plenty of improved seeds in. Even if they dont bulb. My wife has unlimited demand for the green tops for her Caribbean green seasoning needs.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it would take careful management and pulling at the right time (like domestic garlic) to keep it from becoming a problem quickly!

The problem for me is my wife getting mad at me when I tell her I need to wait to harvest the lawn before I can mow it.

4 Likes

My wife doesn’t understand it when I say “I need to let the dandelion go to seed before I mow the lawn!”

My MIL (who has been with us for 8 weeks due to covid) remarked the other day “you sure have a lot of clover in your lawn”. I said “yeah isn’t it great! It’s a nitrogen fixer”.

2 Likes