Opinions wanted: Favorite raspberry varieties?

my ohio treasures turned out to be pretty good tasting but i to prefer reds over them and the royalty purples. ill probably do the same and mix them in jams and syrups so they wont go to waste. still haven’t found a red better than my autumn britten. they never make it into the house as i eat them as i pick. the few double golds i had run a close 2nd.

How do I put in an order for this jam? :wink:
Sounds amazing!!!

Mine haven’t fruited yet - eagerly waiting to taste this one and crimson night as well!
If anyone has any double golds - Please post pics.

All gone this year. I’ll save you some next. I still have some tart and sweet cherries to do something with.

1 Like

When does Kiwi Gold ripen for you? Does it get much SWD pressure?

First of all I am very lucky, my raspberries will get ants only, no SWD. Kiwi Gold has two distinct crops . The early summer crop, july to mid August has very tasty berries but the clusters are small. The September crop starts to bloom the end of Aug. but the clusters are very large. Both crops give good sized berries that range in color from off white to yellow, to orange. They spread easily. I started with one plant as a trial, and now, 8 years later I have a good patch with 10 excellent plants. I have to thin every year. After the first crop blooms, prune the dead brown stems. There are summer canes and fall canes. The the first canes do not rebloom.

Interesting that you aren’t getting SWD, but again you’re on a somewhat urban island. Here there’s enough of the wild raspberries, blackberries, elderberries, invasive autumn olive, and whatever else. There was definitely SWD in my neighbor’s wild blackberries in August. I’ve noticed @BobVance say that Anne raspberries aren’t effected as much by the SWD. I wonder how much that is?

I probably will settle for Prelude, Cascade Gold, and possibly one more summer-bearer if I really want to push it.

They still get SWD, but a lower proportion of berries are affected. Part of that could be that I find Anne tasty even when it isn’t fully ripe, so I’m better about keeping it picked.

1 Like

cascade gold has sprouted all sorts of green in the past few weeks. i lightly trimmed the old floricanes during february and stopped when i noticed the old wood was green on the inside.

new primocanes are now sprouting from the soil, and the floricanes have new growth. anticipating there will be both primocane and floricane crops this year. it’ll be interesting to observe when these two crops occur; will report back here after the canes do their thing.

1 Like

So how are your blackberries doingk? My PAF floricanes apparently got zapped by our brutal cold this winter, but all the other varieties seem to be okay, except for some deer and wabbit raids.

my PAF floricanes are doing OK. living in a climate without freezing winters helps. a handful of berries look as though they’ll ripen in april.

some PAF floricane leaves have turned red, which I hope is due to usual senescence instead of disease.

what’s interesting is that some of the floricane berries browned and withered early in their development. wondering if that had something to do with the heavy rains we had early this year.

1 Like

I’m 8b PNW and Meeker from year 1 bore about 3 fruit,this is year 3, and everytime it is doing well it dies…looks burnt…and 1st year had orange dots: rust. Monrovia failed me. :frowning:

Now what?

Dig it out as it comes up and toss?
Never plant raspberry again?
Will Canby be safe growing 5 feet away?
Can it be organic and saved?
What a waste.
Sad.

i put mine in early spring and in aug. i got a handful of fruit from them. very tasty! they were a mistake from pense farm. were supposed to be joan j. they aren’t supposed to be hardy here. will see how they fared last winter.

1 Like

biggest problem I’ve had with cane fruit is over fertilizing them. get lots of cane growth with no or few berries. lots of primocanes brown and die. if you have pretty good soil , maybe just a little compost and mulch annually will do the trick. :wink: how is your drainage? raspberries don’t like wet feet. try them in raised beds or mounds.

1 Like

My bet is it is the wet. The particular spot is far less wet than other areas. When I put the cherry in this fall I did indeed create a mound and had besides good dirt some grape vines to keepit firmly up. So 6 months later the cherry is doing very well, whew! It is not in the soppy wet like tge iris which like water.

If i mounded dirt up would that help the new canes popping up? They are spreading. I guess this year will be my last effort with Meeker. I do not want poisons.

maybe extend the mound to row length and cull any new shoots not coming up in the mound? the wet ground may just cull them for you but could pass the rot back to the healthy mother plant.

cascade gold question for drew and others with CG experience: how much of a time difference, if any, is there between primocane fruit ripening and floricane fruit ripening?

my guess is that local climate can affect the ripening times of each crop. still, i’m interested in knowing what you’ve observed. thanks.

1 Like

Well if you have primocane fruit you don’t have Cascade Gold. It is summer bearing.

2 Likes

maybe i’m misusing the terms? i have new canes sprouting up this year, and have green growth on last year’s canes, hence my calling them primocanes and floricanes, repsectively.

last year, the primocanes produced fruit in late august and september. i’m wondering whether the floricanes will also produce fruit at a similar time.

Yes new canes are primocanes. That yes usually fruit in August through October,
Floricanes usually produce early, a summer crop. So in July they should produce. Some even in late June. Cascade Gold Primocanes will not produce fruit. They are not an everbearing raspberry, they are a summer bearing, which means only floricanes produce fruit. So if your Cascade Gold produced fruit on first year primocanes, it is not Cascade Gold. They are incapable of producing on first year canes, second year only. Some summer bearing do produce on primocanes, like Prelude. But as far as I know it is the only summer bearer to sometimes produce fall berries. No other summer bearer I know of produces on primocanes. I have a few summer only bearers like Encore, Honey Queen, Cascade Gold, and Taylor.

If just asking when floricanes produces, as mentioned in July. Before primocanes in most cases.

It is confusing, as everbearing can produce floricane crops too. Some don’t bother, but I let mine produce. Some just cut the canes down in the fall.

1 Like