Orchardist suggests spraying trees with vinegar, yogurt and coca cola

It’s easy to side eye folks touting gospels of compost tea foliar feeding but at least some of these ingredients are easier to replicate for supposed benefits.

The only foliar feeding I’ve ever done was for blueberries showing a need for acidification. I am about to hit a few with chelated iron and might try throwing in some kelp, molasses and fish emulsion for the whole bunch.

Most stone fruits are plenty vigorous, but wouldn’t mind adding some vigor to the bush cherries and maybe it would be worth hitting them with vinegar later in the year to induce more fruiting in the Crimson Passion.

Orchard People Article

Hey, throw in some ice cream. That’s what fattens me up so it should work for plants.

Obviously, I’m being a bit facetious. The article says foliar sprays can increase photosynthesis 2, 3, or 4 fold. I don’t believe that in the least. Because all he says foliar does is provide nutrients that can be provided by the soil/roots.

That kind of increase in photosyntesis, if translated to yield, would be the biggest advancement in crop science ever. If not translated to yield what good would it be. So, no I’m not buying what he’s selling. If he added some ice cream, maybe. :smiling_imp:

15 Likes

Folks really will do any darn thing so long as it’s not “chemicals.”

3 Likes

Probably the article missed mentioning using PGR sprays can increase photosynthesis :slight_smile:

Folks at wooden leaf farm have some informative articles on how they grow and manage an organic peach orchard. They rely on foliar feeding due to efficient burst feeding of trees.

1 Like

I’m always skeptical when the person who is promoting new ideas like spraying fruit trees with Coca Cola is also selling workshops and the chemicals.

7 Likes

If he had anything with a patent that would increase yield 2-4 fold he’d be a billionaire.

3 Likes

Quote from the article.

So what we have come to perceive as being normal, is plants that are only photosynthesizing somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 to 20% of their inherent genetic photosynthetic capacity. So that means that these plants are only producing a fraction of the sugars that they’re really capable of. Foliar sprays, when properly designed, can dramatically increase that by two or three or four times

-scientific sounding terms, without explanation, reason or source. :heavy_check_mark:
-implausible claims :heavy_check_mark:
-simple seaming “solutions” to complex problems :heavy_check_mark:
-selling these miracle cures :heavy_check_mark:

I’m calling bovine excrement.

7 Likes

“X only uses Y of its Z potential!”

Well, yeah, because if it went 100%, the byproducts would kill it.

Or the author is just being silly with definitions.

Or both.

Like, we technically only use a tiny, tiny fraction of the energy in our food. But if we tried to retain our food longer to digest it more, we’d develop serious gastrointestinal diseases. Our bodies extract whatever is the most practical amount of energy from food, not what is the most maximal possible. Even herbivories only extract the most soluble sugars and starches, they don’t bother with the tough stuff that makes up most of the chemical energy available in their food. We could inject herbivories, or ourselves, with enzymes to break down lignin and such. What could possibly go wrong? Same with plants. Yes, rates of photosynthesis actually vary quite a lot and are rarely as high as possible–but that’s for the same kinds of reasons that your heartrate is not as high as possible all the time–you don’t actually want that.

Or we have a case of silly definitions. Yes, technically, the chemical energy stored in our food is a mere fraction of the total energy stored in those atoms, and passing them all through nuclear fusion would yield vastly more energy. But that’s not what we mean when we talk about the energy available in food. So what kind of photosynthetic capacity is this fellow on about anyway?

3 Likes

Brawndo has what plants crave

2 Likes

Pretty sure that’s just the inherent inefficiency of RuBisCO in an atmosphere with more oxygen than CO2, and short of genetic engineering or removing all the oxygen from the atmosphere, there isn’t any way to increase enzyme activity.

4 Likes

Bovine excrement is proven to be very beneficial to plant growth when applied correctly. It is funny that your criticism is a more believable alternative. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

If only we could bump up the atmospheric CO2 levels we could really get some serious plant growth.

I’m pretty sure that would do a lot more than spraying random products from the kitchen on our plants.

1 Like

Ha!

3 Likes