Ordered Pawpaw trees online,what did I get?

I ordered 2 pawpaw trees from an online nursery and after about 2 months one finally sprouted. The leaves look nothing like any pictures I’ve seen of pawpaw trees. What did I get?

1 Like

Not a paw paw, that is forsure!

2 Likes

Where did you get it from?

Four Seasons Nursery. I should have read their reviews before ordering.

4 Likes

It is bad enough when you order a particular variety of a fruit and get the wrong variety, but when they send you a whole wrong TYPE of fruit- and they obviously have- that is just ridiculous. I’m not even sure that is a fruit tree. I grow a very large variety of fruit trees and I don’t have a single one that looks even close to that. The leaves look a lot like gooseberry or jostaberry but I don’t think either of those bushes would have that thick “trunk”. So I don’t know what you have there!!!

1 Like

I have gooseberries and jostaberries, they do not have compound leaves.

1 Like

You are exactly right. I was focused only on the single leaf itself and thinking they looked a bit like my goose and Josta’s, but you are 100% correct. I’m not familiar with 4 seasons nursery and when I googled it there were several. Please tell us which one you ordered from- ie where they are out of or web site. No need to protect them after this debacle. Look forward to hearing how they handle this.

1 Like

Website, located in Bloomington IL. They operate under several different names and websites.

1 Like

Here is a link from one of their other names. Same photos, same price, same stock number, same look to site, Same address.
https://www.directgardening.com/581-edibles/6589-paw-paw-tree#/quantity-1

1 Like

Could be some kind of Hawthorn.bb

1 Like

Hawthorn does not have compound leaves. Golden rain tree? Picture from Wikipedia.

3 Likes

Yeah i am guessing golden raintree… Thats too bad…

1 Like

Does not look like Golden Rain tree seedlings I have. The leaves of your you g tree are too round.