Organic fertilizer rec's

It all depends on what’s in the mobile boxes. Usually people use real soil for that as it would be foolish not to in any situation I can think of- the only practical reason for artificial medium is too assure drainage in pots that have a bottom that vastly restricts drainage. Even if you used non-inoculated potting soil, I doubt it would take more than hours for fungus underneath it to begin the process of joining roots- at least when the soil becomes warm, which I believed is required in any case.

Hey guys just a heads up if you see this I just posted a link to a blog I wrote all about this urban farm project it has more detailed info about my grow boxes. It is under the general gardening heading. Read it if you can. Thanks guys.

Drew

Yes I was talking about veggies. But I will be adding some fruit as well. Surprise surprise right!

Very helpful for sure sir. Thanks for the very detailed reply.

Huh using alfalfa seems like a great idea. I need to see if I can find a source for them here. Yes cost may be a problem but I’ll see.

Drew

You are right I now use potting soil for the drainage. I need to look into this further. I just posted a link to a blog I wrote about this project. It has more info about the boxes. Check it out if you can. Thank you!

Drew

Alan I am now using potting soil. I started out using more real soil but a rainy spring and early summer let to bad results so we had to switch it up. These boxes require good drainage as they are basically large pots. So in your opinion would michoriza be useful in my situation? Thank you.

Drew

They are only like large pots if they have a bottom that restricts drainage. I would never have switched over to potting soil because if drainage is an issue you must be doing this in clay or they are virtual islands. Potting soil breaks down into finer and finer particles over a few short years gradually decreasing drainage, when it is course and light it actually provides less for the plants volume than real soil.

If you have unusually heavy clay soil than the best solution, if raised beds in themselves didn’t create adequate drainage, would be to have a load of good quality top-soil delivered and use that. That is, unless you have a heavy tiller or rent one and incorporate a ton of sand into the clay- too little and they say you create cement, although I’ve never actually seen that accomplishment in the real world.

I don’t know, but my guess is that the fungus will quickly colonize the roots if your beds don’t have solid bottoms. I wouldn’t be surprised colonization didn’t occur regardless- but that’s just my guess. If you are using potting soil, they are often inoculated nowadays, so check that first.

Yes they are restricted drainage units. It is a pallet covered with a mesh and surrounded with wood collars and filled with soil. All the units must be fork lift able as we are always having to move stuff to make room for special events and obviously the State Fair. These things sit over hot ass asphalt and we are having to water quite a bit thus the heavier soils were staying too wet. Since I have switched soils the results have improved. Here is the link to the blog it has a picture of the units http://bigtex.com/big-tex-urban-farm-update-april-2017/. Thank you for all the advice believe me I am still very much learning what is best for this project.

Drew

1 Like

unusual set up. how long will the wood last? I see the need for a lite mix. A picture is worth…

Really cool setup Drew! Very nice!

My favorite organic fertilizers are worm castings, good compost helped out by chickens, and fish. After cleaning fish take carcuss and place it in a heavy duty garbage bag. Fill bag with water and tie up. Put bag in safe cool place for a few days. Use the ultra fishy water as fertilizer. This really works well for me, be careful where you store your bag though. Being a fishing guide I get plenty of fish! Plant fish in garden at your own risk. I have had no problems doing this but realize animals may try and dig up. For my acidic plantings I use cottonseed meal with good luck. When I use bagged fertilizer, I prefer Dr.Earth, like @MrClint.

1 Like

Free local organic inputs are the sweet spot. It can be a zero sum game using organic materials mined and transported from a world away.

2 Likes

Came across this a while ago when looking for the best species for figs.

Abstract
Field response of fig tree, carob tree and pomegranate to mycorrhizal inoculation in a replant soil infested with Armillaria mellea. Replant syndrome is a major challenge for agricultural systems in the Mediterranean area. The survival and growth performance in the field of three fruit crops of increasing economic importance, namely fig tree (Ficus carica), carob tree (Ceratonia siliqua) and pomegranate (Punica granatum) were monitored after inoculation with two arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi isolates: Rhizophagus irregularis and Glomus mosseae. The experiments were conducted in a former vineyard on replant soil infested with Armillaria mellea. In the replant soil, fruit tree species had different responses to mycorrhizal inoculation. There were no significant differences in pomegranate growth and survival while a significant increase was obtained in mycorrhizal fig tree plants. Mycorrhizal colonization in carob trees promoted a fourfold increase both in plant height and in survival.

Also, anyone can collect and produce their own inoculant from the wild. A live form is better than the spore inoculants anyway. Pro-Mix used to use live inoculant but I am not sure if it still does. https://rodaleinstitute.org/a-complete-how-to-on-farm-am-fungus-inoculum-production/

Promix still was as of last season.

I believe this research is preliminary, but certainly interesting. I would like to read an attempt at an explanation of why the mcychorizal fungi crashed and how they were able to survive when the soil was reinoculated- whatever originally killed it must no longer be there. That seems doubtful, but that’s just my logic rambling. Often leads to roads to nowhere. Maybe it is a viral pathogen that parishes when the host species dies out.

1 Like

Maybe it is just a matter of the balance being upset? The mycorrhizal fungi were probably killed off some by the honey mushrooms and perhaps just not able to colonize all of the replanted controls quicker than they could be attacked. Some mycorrhizal species are probably much better at battling specific pathogens also. I agree about there not being enough research, it must be terribly hard to study.

1 Like

Drew, check with your local feed store for the alfalfa typically much less expensive than a garden center sold in 50# bags. Local free stuff would be better certainly but maybe hassle/ odor issues would be more trouble than a few bucks on alfalfa. Anyway I admire your project and goal.
Tom

It’s been quite the adventure already. There really isn’t much out there quite like this. Thank you!

Drew

1 Like

Yes I’ll try and post more pics of this stuff soon. Thank you Alan.

I should have mentioned we are starting a composting operation as part of this process. That should be as local as it gets! That will help out once I get it rolling. Thanks Mr Clint.

Drew

1 Like