Organic Fireblight Control

Looks like the perfect program for strep. We use the same logic but the recommendations are generated by a FB model that pulls weather info from the local airport. We have noticed that sometimes the dew is heavy enough to generate an infection even with no rain. Also tried Apogee to reduce succulent growth which helped but my success managing FB has been up and down

I really like the idea of spraying the blooms on new trees with lime sulfur to burn them off. Seems like young trees that have never fruited that are loaded with blooms are the most susceptible to FB and these trees are easily killed

1 Like

I’ve tried using fine tuning my sprays with the cougarblight model but after a couple of year I’ve learned that at my location, basically spray before rain because it’s almost alwsys over 65F a lot during bloom.

1 Like

Thanks Hambone!

When I click on the link it now says, “Page Not Found”.

But when i search for it, I found this…? Ugly Stub Pruning for Fire Blight | University of Maryland Extension

1 Like

That’s a problem with many university websites. They are constantly redoing their websites and moving pages. @DowneastApples, you found the new link location.

1 Like

web archive still has it. Unfortunately without the pictures.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200812034935/https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/ugly-stub-pruning-fire-blight

what is your spray schedule looks like? or do I have to read the book to find out :slight_smile: I am surprised that you say your pluots still suffer. Is this the plum leaf curl caused by aphids? I thought dormant spray and controlling ants should handle it easily.

Steiner’s diagram for Ugly Stub Blight Pruning:

1 Like

There are 4 Spring sprays timed to quarter green, early pink, petal fall, and first cover. Which is probably pretty doable in an orchard of apples, but my small orchard is very diversified. I’d probably need to spray 6 or 7 times to time with the different bloom and leaf. I’ve only gotten 2 sprays done so far this Spring. Then there’s a spray in the Fall when most of the leaves are fallen.
Year to year it varies here. My plum/pluots were good last year except one was hit hard by scale. I usually hand pick out a lot of curled peach leaves. Last year I boasted about how little fireblight I get on my pear and I got the longest strike yet, maybe 2’.

1 Like

Article from WSU on organic FB control on Apples

Fire Blight | WSU Tree Fruit | Washington State University.

We plan to alternate strep and Blossom Protect this year to reduce the number of strep applications.

Looks like it could be a bad year for FB since temperature was high enough to be prefect for FB as soon as the trees started to bloom.

Also plan to include Apogee later in the season to educe the amount of shoot blight. Some trials in NC showed the effectiveness of Apogee even at a lower rate which should not curtail the growth of the apple trees as much as the old suggested rates.

NEWA models for my area showed infection almost as soon as trees hit bloom this year which is unusual.