Overall Orchard Layout

Pretty new to gardening on a large scale and currently planning out the overall layout of my 3-acre property. Zone 9, old apple-growing territory. Everything’s subject to change but I’d love some feedback on my general plan here!

I currently have a lot of citrus and avocado varieties in planters that will be transplanted when I move here. My main focus is apples (especially cider apples).

I’d like to plant the “apples, etc” area as closely as possible. Mostly apples on MM111, with some pears, plums, peaches, cherries, etc thrown in as well.

The avocados and citrus will be planted around other landscaping elements which is why I just threw random dots on the map. Zone 9 seems to be on the edge of comfort for avocados so I want to set them up for success.

As you can see from the topomap, the property slopes down from the north corner. The hill holds water very well though the water does drain and not stand, but I’m a little concerned about water-sensitive roots. On the other hand, we have very dry summers here.

My neighbors also warned me that the wind did a number on fruit tree blossoms.

Main Concerns
Should cherries and avocados (and anything else) be planted as close to the hill (or on the hill) as possible due to water?
I’ve gotten mixed opinions on proximity to leach field - thoughts?
Does my idea of adding a windbreak seem useful?
Anything obvious I’m not thinking about with this layout?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Congrats on your new property; looks like a nice plan!

Issues like wind water etc are very climate-specific; maybe @jerry is close to you? If it’s windy there I’m guessing you must not be too far from the ocean. Southern slopes will be warmer, the avocados and citrus may be happier on that (which is where it looks like you have them).

That’s quite a map.

My comment is about the wind. I’ve never seen wind blow any substantial amount blooms off. Kansas, where I live, is the second windiest state in the nation.

The biggest problem we have with wind is sometimes it will break branches down which are heavy with fruit. For myself, I wouldn’t bother with a wind break.

I generally like some wind moving through the orchard. It helps with air drainage and generally helps dry things out.

If you plan to let your trees get tall, you may have a problem with some blow overs, if the wind is really strong.

1 Like

Sounds like @mer is probably somewhere in the in the Petaluma/Santa Rosa/Sebastopol triangle, a little north and inland from me. It’s not really coastal, and not so windy as Point Reyes, but they do still get some significant wind over there. I would, indeed, favor putting in a windbreak if it’s feasible - and not just for the trees, but also for the residents.

My experience suggests that the leach field position will be fine.

I agree with @scottfsmith that you want to keep the avocados and citrus as warm and protected as possible. Avocados are indeed a bit of a push here, and citrus varies in how well it performs. Some types may need extra protection from the wind, and the little patch you show next to the larger residence might be a good spot for the sensitive ones. Out here, Meyer lemons generally do well, but oranges and limes usually need protection. Over the hill in Novato, oranges do fine, and I suspect your climate is closer to theirs than ours.

Thank you, @scottfsmith!

@jerry, we are nearby! This plot is in Cotati. I grew up in Sebastopol and our citrus did ok, so I’m hoping these survive. The hill does get a lot of sun compared to most neighbors. Lots of gambles.

The neighbors with fruit trees had planted them in very open, unprotected areas, and the trees were still young, so that might not be as big an issue with a more planted area. We have vineyards nearby and former orchards as well, and they did ok. I’ll be planting my least exciting varieties around the borders, haha.

I’ve had a lot of people here report growing avocados successfully, but no one seems to know what varieties they’re growing. I’m aiming for one of everything cold-hardy I can get my hands on in the hopes that some make it. If not, I’ll be contemplating what my friends in Point Reyes do, and put in a greenhouse!

I’ve encountered that locally, too. I know of a property up on the cold, windy Inverness Ridge that has two big, bearing avocado trees on the edge of a clearing. No one knows what they are.

How wide are those terraces? Eyeballing it looks like maybe 8’ apiece? What goes there? And what’s going in that lower left corner past the avocados? I always think of maximizing all of my space, but you may have other priorities :wink:

My only other comment is about the MM111. That seems to be most people’s go-to starting point- it’s the only rootstock our local scion exchange sells- but I don’t understand why. I guess it’s pretty soil/weather tolerant and predictable, but it’s awful slow to bear and I think there are better choices. I’m using B.118 and G.890 lately. Food for thought.

It’s also well-rooted, which helps it succeed in windy areas and survive summer drought in the west.

I experimented with B118 here, and it didn’t like something about my soil or climate - it barely grew at all. MM111, on the other hand, has done fine here.

Yes, the terraces will be vegetables and berries! And hopefully some small trees nearby (I’ll need to check about distance to safely plant things that won’t mess with the drainage/terrace walls). Lower area of the property will be for animals - I’m hoping to surround my chicken yard with the citrus and have small pigs in the very left portion. Might be able to fit some trees in there depending but they’d need protection.

Everywhere nearby here sells trees on MM111 so I was defaulting to that. I have been curious about why - I’m planning to go to a local fruit grower’s club meetup soon so that’s definitely something I should ask about. Like @jerry says, it’s probably related to the droughts we have here.