Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

Seems wise!

I picked “belmac” apple today. little 2nd leaf tree on m27 gave eight enormous apples. pretty good fresh off the tree. I think this is a keeper, my goal selecting it was as a late season low care apple. m27 promoted ridiculous early and excessive flowering, thinning was important

2 Likes

Could I ask if there is a taste difference between White Gold and Rainier? I love Rainier but heard that it might crack in the Western part of WA.

White Gold is very good. But it is smaller, less firm and less sweet than Rainier. But it is all I can grow in western WA.

2 Likes

It is similar enough to Rainier that most people would not know if you do not tell them. This was the first year I was able to fill a small bowl, and the Brix ranged 18-19. It wasn’t a very good Spring. I am hoping to break 20 Brix in a good year.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

As many of you know, I’ve begun a multi-year cold-hardy avocado breeding project here in Seattle. As my latest post in that thread says, I’m now at the stage where I’m ready to start distributing trees each year to anyone interested in joining the project, which you can do on my website here:

https://www.drymifolia.org/join.php

As that website explains, I’m expecting very high casualties among the trees distributed, but I’m planning to keep producing seedlings and rooted clones for many years to come. Even a few of those hundreds or thousands of trees prove hardy, then that would be a phenomenal success. If the goal ends up being impossible, then at least I want to be able to say I gave it a solid attempt!

4 Likes

DOn’t harvest yacon until the fall after some rains. I waited until Thanksgiving and got much bigger yields.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

Dennis D- Do you like pie cherries? I prefer Montmorency to any sweet cherry. I get loads of them, especially since I biocharred the soil around the tree. Birds don’t mess with them much.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

i grow monty here in n. Maine. i agree they are the best tasting pie cherry. nice part about them is you can graft sweet cherry to them and monty will pollinate what you put on as it has a long bloom time and one of its parents is a sweet cherry.

2 Likes

Local farmers market now has Giant Fuyu, probably may show up in other markets from eastern Wa in next few weeks. Really nice size fruits, waiting to test while they ripen a bit

Dennis
Kent, wa

5 Likes

Jiro does very well in our area. As the tree matures, the fruits keep getting better.

5 Likes

For those of you growing Fuyu persimmons in the PNW - how long did it take for your trees to fruit from the time you planted them / roughly how big were they? I’m curious as to when I can hopefully expect my two persimmons to start fruiting. Thanks

I am not growing true Fuyu — it may not ripen in our climate.
Jiro is often sold as Fuyu here. It may produce first fruit within 2 years.

1 Like

fuyu tend to take long time some locals have said between 3 to 8 years. i have no idea why there is such difference perhaps the micro climate and the soil conditions.

1 Like

awesome! i think it is great to have some giant fuyu locally! it better than the abundance of jiros.

Fellow cidermakers in southern Oregon? - Cider - Growing Fruit

Is there any reason not to go ahead and dig them now if the tops were killed by frost?

I’m jealous. I’ve tried multiple years to grow yacon, but something eats the tuberous roots off each time. The same thing happens to my Jerusalem artichokes, but fortunately they produce more than the critters can eat (usually).

2 Likes

Well I haven’t dug them up yet so who knows!

1 Like

I dug up a bunch of yacon growing in ground at a local nursery in full sun a couple of years ago and was able to snack on a few large pieces right out of the ground. I loved it and decided it was worth my time…very juicy. Good harvest for the space it took up and the tubers were a nice size. Unfortunately the same tubers I snacked on never came up in my own garden only 15 minutes from where they were growing previously. I have a lot of wild life that stops by so they couldve been easy pickings. I havent tried growing yacon since but I would definitely consider it if I had a good spot.

1 Like