Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

Is there any reason not to go ahead and dig them now if the tops were killed by frost?

Iā€™m jealous. Iā€™ve tried multiple years to grow yacon, but something eats the tuberous roots off each time. The same thing happens to my Jerusalem artichokes, but fortunately they produce more than the critters can eat (usually).

2 Likes

Well I havenā€™t dug them up yet so who knows!

1 Like

I dug up a bunch of yacon growing in ground at a local nursery in full sun a couple of years ago and was able to snack on a few large pieces right out of the ground. I loved it and decided it was worth my timeā€¦very juicy. Good harvest for the space it took up and the tubers were a nice size. Unfortunately the same tubers I snacked on never came up in my own garden only 15 minutes from where they were growing previously. I have a lot of wild life that stops by so they couldve been easy pickings. I havent tried growing yacon since but I would definitely consider it if I had a good spot.

1 Like

Has anyone had success with using ollas in their garden? I just stumbled upon the idea and am excited to try it but am looking for any experiences or wisdom others can share. They seem awesome for our dry spells in the summer to conserve water.

The plant has both a corm/crown and the edible tuber-like roots. You need a piece of the corm to propagate it. The edible parts wonā€™t grow. Hereā€™s how the University of Florida recommends propagation:

At the time of harvest, corms are separated from stem and tuberous roots and stored in the refrigerators. About two months before production, corms are placed in potting soil to allow sprouting. Sprouted corms are separated and placed in 6-inch or 8-inch pots filled with potting soil to allow plant growth. Then, the young plants can be directly transplanted into the field.

1 Like

Now that you reminded me with all of that information and thinking back I may have misspoken because I do remember the little corms and planting a bunch of those.

1 Like

Everyone might want to keep an eye on the 10-day forecastā€¦ the GFS model is showing a very hard freeze at the start of December:

Hopefully it backs off in future model runsā€¦ my avocados would not appreciate that one!

2 Likes

That would not be good. Many of my feijoa are still unripe on the tree. I would hate for them to be destroyed. I am also concerned about my loquats even though I am protecting them this year with christmas lights.

1 Like

Maybe your feijoa and/or loquat are too far along for this technique.
My citrus are under 6ā€™ so I have Christmas lights on a wire frame covered with a tall (6ā€™ x 5ā€™) plant cover.
download

IMG_1196
IMG_1194
I have my timer set for lights to come on at 37F - the low temp on max/min is 36.5F.
IMG_1197
This plant cover works much better than last yearā€™s duct tape and bubble wrap! I ordered a few more to cover loquat once they start blooming.

1 Like

Thats a wonderful idea! I am going to do this for my citrus! I have tons of tomato cages that are currently unused.
My loquats have just a simple cover over each cluster of branches. The whole tree is covered with incandescent christmas lights. Iā€™ll post a picture later .

1 Like

Anybody seen treated astringent persimmons this season, like the Percinnamons they used to get at Walmart?

Looks like it was just that model run, the 18z GFS already is showing a less intense freeze a day earlier. Probably too far in the future to let it be a cause for concern either way. Though the seasonal outlook means this will probably be a recurring pattern for awhile:

I tried to harvest them some years in say, September and hardly found any roots. They really size up after the rains and the top dies down. I would say now is fine.
JohN S
PDX OR

1 Like

Johann- you might want to consider growing a lot of alliums in your yard if you donā€™t already have them. Many gardeners have found that they keep moles and gophers away. I grow lots of leeks and onions.
JohN S
PDX OR

I havenā€™t tried them, but I am interested.
John S
PDX OR

I have quite a collection of Alliums actually. Moles arenā€™t a problem. They are carnivorous. Iā€™m not sure what kind of rodent is eating the roots.

Maybe a gopher?

Gophers arenā€™t common in my area, but itā€™s possible.

Portland gophers must have different tastes. Down here in southern Oregon, the gophers in my garden go for the garlic and onions first! I have watched as they pull the green onion tops down into the hole. Have almost given up growing onions and garlic because we rarely have enough left to harvest.

2 Likes