Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

If Early Laxton plum sweet as Italian prune I’m very happy. Interesting to me. Hopefully they send me to good size bare too tree Jafar.

Not as sweet, or tart, as ripe Italian.

1 Like

I have plenty different varieties. More choices fruit for me.

1 Like

I finally found a picture of mine on Facebook. The dark ones are overripe. July 21 from 9 years ago:

4 Likes

I live in Hazel Dell just north of downtown Vancouver, WA, and when I was a kid this area was 8a. It has been 8b my adult life, but with the 115 degree summers of this decade I think I should consider growing things that are higher zones like 9.

Keep in mind that the USDA zones are determined by the average lowest winter temperature over the latest 30 year period. So, the recent hot summers are not relevant.

1 Like

It is relevant if I am trying to grow things they say are for cool region crops and plant at a time they believe historically is right to put out seed and it turns out too hot to do so. I will experiment and see what happens.

1 Like

@Noddykitty i just got one veteran peach today from Costco. The root was trimmed a lot and so dried out. Hopefully it’s Okay to leaf out. 1.29.23.

1 Like

my costco veteran was trimmed even more than that, it probably had a root mass the size of my fist, total. I think it’ll survive but I cut the top back a lot to help (I picked it because the 2 year old buds on the trunk looked pretty viable so it’s cut to almost a stick now)

1 Like

I trimmed at least 1 foot down from tops. When did you get your? It’s okay now? I am worrying about Seattle weather. Peach really easy to get peach leaf curl. Thank you @z0r

I agree on the peach. The original mention of questionable root size was spot on. But the apple tree was very generous. I actually trimmed it down a tad. It was wrapped in a ball like my daughters bun for ballet. Definitely different person digging the apples that day.

1 Like

I got it a week or so ago, I planted it yesterday, mine was decently moist in the bag so I figured it was fine left outside till I had time to plant. yes veteran will be susceptible to peach leaf curl but it’s one of the best overall varieties here other than that, virtually every u-pick grows it. if you’ve seen my other posts I’m a proponent of ziram delayed dormant and/or lime sulfur dormant if you’re ok spraying, which will give you very good PLC control

1 Like

@z0r I have too many plum trees so now I need a couple Peach trees. Looking for Nanaimo. It’s not available to order yet. My Indian Free peach performing very well here in Seattle areas Michael. Good luck for all your fruit trees. Vincent.

1 Like

I love peaches, after japanese plums and cherries they’re my favorite, so I think they’re worth the one or two PLC sprays to get the best varieties. my ideal is to have a spread of harvest times and especially to have early stuff because I’m always wanting more then. something like this:

early redhaven -11
risingstar -9
redhaven +0
suncrest +9
veteran +20

then something later than veteran… not sure, I care less about peaches at this point in the summer. and then if I can get ahold of pf-5d big -24 or springcrest -24 (hazy on those numbers, but they’re earlier) I’ll be all set

1 Like

@zur
After switching to Ziram for PLC, the peach world is opening up for me! Are you growing all of those you listed?
Would you share comparative results for your non-PLC resistant varieties, e.g brown rot?

1 Like

on that list only suncrest is fruiting (plus fantasia (nectarine) nanaimo and frost), I have risingstar since last year and redhaven and veteran now. I had early redhaven last year from vaughn but it died in transit. that’s my overall plan that’s almost filled in now, just need to find the early ones. everything on the list other than 5d big is grown by a valley u-pick so it’s low risk

my only rot so far was last year all of my bird-pecked stuff rotted after an august rain. I think just one bird doing a test peck per peach took most of my suncrest crop

Thanks for your account!

I forgot to ask before, but was this second one selected for propagation due to berry size or was it because it was so abundantly productive? Either way, I think both of your selections deserve to be given names to distinguish them and lots of people would be excited to buy them from you.

5 Likes

The second one I gathered because it was it looked very productive (but only average flavor, quarter inch berries and non simultaneous ripening ) but I’m not convinced that it is truly that productive because it was growing in a location that was fully exposed to the east north and west so I want to compare it to other varieties in more controlled conditions. I labeled it Provost after the road it grows near

I would love to sell plants to people after I have confirmed that they have the fruit qualities that I chose them for but I haven’t yet figured out how to make huckleberries grow fast so it will likely be several years before I can

1 Like

Here I’ve found they can put on quite a bit of growth in a year just from making sure they are well mulched and don’t dry out. Are you fertilizing them with anything?