Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

Dennis,
Your last picture looks like Curly Leaf Plum Aphids.They are fairly small.I have a magnifier,with a 30x and 60x.The smaller viewer can enlarge them enough.
I treat my trees a little before seeing flower bud color,with sprays of dish soap and vegetable oil,in water.If rainy,they should be sprayed more often than weekly and hit all the crevices.
Sometimes,Peppermint Castile is added.If an infestation was exceptionally big,the previous year,an insecticide like Ortho Tree & Shrub Fruit Tree Spray is mixed in.

2 Likes

Hi Brady yesterday I tried to examine with a magnifying glass. Could not see any at all! So I’m thinking if it was caused by aphids, they must have gone by now. But somehow their past presence is still affecting new leaves. It’s really puzzling. I think next year as soon a blossoms lose petals I will start using either Bonide Pyrethrin or your suggestion on my inventory of trees affected today, to see if it makes a difference.
Dennis

You’re right Brady they are super tiny!
I found one today inside a curled plum leaf so I will try to treat today with Hort oils. This one is below my finger holding leaf open by the central leaf vein. Oblong and green and moving around.
Thanks for your tips
Dennis

1 Like

@ thank you so much for educating documents reference Michael. It helps me a lot.

Could you post Faith again when it ready to harvest. It’s big berry. I really like it. Most of grapes here very tiny fruit. Yesterday I get Mars and Himrod from Flower World. They don’t have Faith and Reliance. Thank you Chris.

2 Likes

will do

1 Like

update on lapins cherry - I did get 90% fruit fly control in the bottom half of the tree with spinosad x2, but the top half (ripening earlier by a few days) I got very poor control. next year I’ll have to start earlier with sprays. this tree is so productive now that I’ll probably end up going nuclear since it’ll be worth the effort, max spinosad (3 sprays leading up to harvest) + the max of one or two other chemicals (earlier)

1 Like

Bear with me:
People have wondered about you. I hope we can get you back on.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

They look fine. They start off quite small. I try to water them a bit this time of year, since they are used to summer/spring rains where they are native.
John S

Where did you ordered diamond muscat grape. It’s rip in time? Tasting good Michael?

I got it from broadacres in person, they sell one-season rooted cuttings at their open house days, unfortunately it died (I think from not watering), so I’ll need to get another this year

broadacres notes say “late season” but I couldn’t verify yet

1 Like

Hey all, just wanted to show the progress of pawpaw trees so far here in the Willamette Valley. Been in the ground since April this year. Both Shenandoah and KSU Benson were ~20-24" in 1 gal pots prior to planting and can tolerate the full day sun. KSU Chappell was 11" and needed cover once it got above 85 degrees.

Fertilized with what I have on hand, ammonium sulfate (21-0-0), maybe 1 tablespoon a month + compost. Definitely recommend Portland Nursery and Tony’s Garden for the nice sized 1 gal plants.

3 Likes

10 years ago, they wanted $150 for a paw paw tree. I almost choked. I hope it’s better now.
John S
PDX OR

Wow… 1-gallon plants are ~$35. Much better

1 Like

Good afternoon,

Couple of quick questions.

My local nursery (less than 10 minutes from my house) is selling Changshou Kumquat Trees and also Sudachi Yuzu gallon pots for 29 dollars.

1. Is Changsou the same as Fukushu?
  2. Will both survive in ground after protecting them for a few years with a frost blanket structure over them. I live in Port Orchard Wa for reference. The Kumquat could probably be planted near my house but not the other.

Thank you,
Gary

I had a yuzu die on me about 20 years ago, but Portland is warmer now than it was then. It was protected the first winter then in the ground when it died. I think that Portland has always been colder than Port Orchard. Also I have more skills to help it now than I did then, especially after reading all the comments that you all post.

John S
PDX OR

How do you like Hunza? i have one in zone 5b.

My ‘Hunza’ died back to the roots. We had a heavy freeze after it had leafed out this year and it couldn’t handle it.

Pawpaws sizing up nicely.

1 Like

Picked my first Desert King a couple of days ago.
Breba season in full swing.

2 Likes