Pakistan Mulberry in Zone 7 possible? (+ trying & growing PawPaws, Persimmons etc.)

Hi Marvin, Zone 7 is marginal for the Pakistan Mulberry. It will definitely be threatened unless protected. Even in zone 8 it is not uncommon for a tree to be killed. Once they get older they can survive much colder temps. It is definitely a Morus Alba. http://www.lecooke.com/Images/Shades/Mulberry/Pakistan-Fruiting-Mulberry(RGB).pdf

Let us hope that it is the real thing.
I accidentally, and luckily found one russian site, and thanks to google translator, went to a LOT of other sites…by good, they have a treasure trove there! They sell regulary, and in many orchards, cultivars that are huge and hardy. I thinks black baroness was one (of course translated in russian), that is apparently Morus nigra that can take sometimes -30 celsius. Or it is a M. alba with a large black fruit.
Nevertheless, now I have to figure out how to buy plants from russia without customs entirely stopping me :slight_smile:
-Janne

1 Like

Name of Russian site?

1 Like

Here some knowledge on some cultivars: http://plodovie.ru/derevya/shelkovitsa/sorta-5-20098/
And for example here they are sold: Шелковица Чёрная баронесса в наличии низкая цена - саженцы и крупномеры, описание, отзывы, фото, посадка крупномера

Thanks to modern technology I can translate automatically all these pages, makes the reading easier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Marvin, how did your mulberries (Pakistan, Saharanpur) survive the winter (temps around 0 F)?

Btw, did you receive my PM?

Hey there!

It seems like the Pakistan mulberry survived the coldest day in February where it had around -15°C / 4°F

Iam curious if it will survive our spring weather.

My Saharanpur is still in a pot and i would like to keep it there.

Yes, i sent you a PM.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. For now it seems that Pakistan in zone 7 is possible. :slight_smile:

Problem may be more about low chill requierment than hardiness

Pakistan is low chill. It grows and fruits very well in Miami Florida.

1 Like

Yesterday at the Fruit and Spice Park in the Redlands near Homestead in South Florida

11 Likes

The park is such a neat place to visit!

1 Like

Nice!

I was there today and the plants look okay.

Also pruned our fig tree and collected some cuttings.

Variety is unknown and proven to be hardy for 25-30 years.

I hope that i can keep a few for myself ^^

2 Likes

Finally my 3 Pakistan mulberry bark grafted to wild mulberry under stocks fruited this year. Can’t wait to a good harvest. Thanks Raf for the scions.

Tony

11 Likes

@Austro_PawPaw could you please PM me?

Seems like my Pakistan mulberry survived the spring, but it died back quite a bit.

Iam going to protect it more the next winter.

@gfmrt Sent you a PM

Pretty soon you’ll be sick of them…or not :grinning:

10 Likes

My PM fruits are about ready to harvest in a few days.

Tony

5 Likes

Hello Austropawpaw, could you please send me a PM to start a conversation? I’ve no idea how to do it :grin: thanks

Hey do your Pakistan Mulberry stain or not? I have found conflicting information on these plants some say they do some say they don’f.