Pakistan Mulberry in Zone 7 possible? (+ trying & growing PawPaws, Persimmons etc.)

My Pakistan Mulberries are just starting to fruit. None are ripe yet. I’m in Portugal

4 Likes

they do stain, if on concrete and stepped on. But the stains wash away with rain. The berries are not as fragile or inclined to burst as nigras, so not really messy.

1 Like

Thanks I may put one in the back where there is less foot traffic.

Che seedless is just female che. All female che trees produce seedless fruit unless a male is nearby. Your male tree will make your female produce seeds.

I bought a couple of 4” tall tissue cloned Pakistans.
I’m blown away how strong their roots are. They smoke any Russian R.S. I’ve ever messed with.

My tissue cultured Pakistan, bought almost four months ago, is also growing nicely. Does anyone have this TC variety and now producing berries? How long does it take?

I think those are child hands.

1 Like

Finally bought my first Pakistan mulberry tree and looking forward to plant it in my garden. There are black and white Pakistan mulberrie types. One of mine friends had experience, that PM servived 0 F in our climate. Will see in the future…Also I will plant Illinois Everbearing mulberry will plant in the spring, this variety should be enough hardy to 6b zone.

Pakistan In the ground for the past 6 months… see the difference :slight_smile: hopefully a big crop next season

6 Likes

Did you get the Eldorado mulberry? I’m thinking about grabbing one from Burnt Ridge. I’m curious how it is. I can’t find a bit of information on it.

Bumping up this old thread. I’m looking for information on Eldorado. I grabbed it up along with a Kokuso and Silk Hope. @Austro_PawPaw Did you ever buy it? Anyone else?

1 Like

I did air layering on a Pakistan mulberry growing first year in a pot just 4 weeks ago. I didn’t remove the entire bark but deep scratched a couple of places. I see so many tender white roots now. When I say air layering, I just took a very low branch and bent it to the soil level and put a mound of soil on top. The roots started pushing through this small mound so I put more soil on top.

I also took sever cuttings early September when I saw the small white dots on the branches. Many of those have nice growth but some didn’t survive. Even the ones that show good leaf growth may not survive and only time will tell.

4 Likes

Cool,I may try that sometime.Does your plant do okay during the Winter?Even here in zone 8,there is branch die back from the cold occasionally.bb

This is the first year I am trying Pakistan. Bought a small plant from Edible Lanscaping in June and it has been growing in a pot. I suspect in my zone also it will have die back. I plan to keep it on the deck close to the house this winter and plant it in the ground next spring.

3 Likes

One of my Pakistan (I have 3 trees approximately the same age) in zone 8b I believe
Its in the ground for the 2nd year. I have airlayered it this year also

With the airlayers on

Without the airlayers, after I cut them off

5 Likes

I had my pakistani mulberrygrafted on Illinois Everbearing in a pot in a garage and the buds started to swell so I decided to plant it outside at the beginning of April. Few days later we were hit with 24 degrees. The plant was small so I made desperate attempt to cover the buds with parafilm, thought it will give it at least minimal protection. It did not help at all and only 2 buds closest to the grafting point survived. The tree is now 6ft tall and looking great. I will cut the top off for back up and leave it outside. Will provide report in the spring.

1 Like

AJ Bullard said that the lowest temp ‘Pakistan’ had encountered at Islamabad, where it originated, was 28F. Therefore, he recommended planting it with graft union below ground so that it could resprout if(when) it got frozen back.
I did that, and 3 years in a row, it froze back to the ground and regrew 8-10 each season, but never fruited. Dug it up and potted it, with intent to take it to my dad, on the zone 7/8 interface… but misplaced it somewhere.

1 Like

I am in 6b/7a and I have seen no die back on my pakistan. It is a tissue culture, so on it’s own roots if it does. Deer ate it up last year and this year put on about eight feet of growth. Sadly no fruit yet.

1 Like

Hey Janne. I am a mulberry fan from Russia. I hope I can answer your questions, so welcome to ask :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks for the opportunity. A couple of questions do come to mind: what are the common famous cultivars in Russia(n speaking lands), and how often do you think they are authentic? Some said that for example of ‘White honey’ (a direct translation) there are so many different clones circling, same goes to the cultivars beginning with ‘black’(cherny?) , like black prince, black baroness etc.
And has there been breeding work done in Russia, or previous soviet states other than Ukraine…I read from one source that there was some done in Azerbaizan and ‘Black prince/cherny prints’ would be from there.