Paw paws from seeds

I’m going to sow mine in-ground but really, really, really watch so the soil never dries out. I’m going to dig deep and loosen the soil so it’s as fine as possible. Otherwise this is a MT2510 Stuewe pot with 1-year of growth. You can count on them to grow this large with good potting soil and granular fertilizer. The guy that grew this locally told me he buys granular and uses a mix one of our local garden shop creates to grow these.

The MT2510 is a part of their mini-tree pot series. It’s great for persimmons too. Much like what you’re building, Johnny.

Dax

1 Like

My trees grew to that size also in the first year. I left them in the pots till the following spring and planted out dormant. The nice thing about growing them in a box is they are easy to water and take care of. They are easy to protect in one spot also.

1 Like

Instead of taking a photo I’ll tell you guy what a pawpaw seedling looks like grown in a nursery grow bag about 3" in diameter and 5" tall. They grow to 3-5". That’s with Pro-mix and a dousing of granular fertilizer. So, deep pots are mandatory.

Dax

1 Like

Here is what mine looked like a year later before planting. They looked much bigger too with leaves on but they did good I thought. Some are about a foot and others are close to two foot.

4 Likes

I kept forgetting to plant seeds …so took some of my seeds and planted mid July last year. They came up in September. They have spent the winter in one gallon pots outdoors. All appear to be alive as of yesterday…even though only 2 or 3 inches tall.

A dozen or two 2019 seeds and the remaining 2018 seeds are happily waiting for me to plant this spring. Probably late April or in May…unless I forget again.

2 Likes

Wild pawpaws are good but it should be mentioned again and again that a good gene pool of cultivated/cultivar seed(s) produces cultivar worthy trees 75% of the time. That’s not a guess that’s fact and is data from Red Fern Farm in Iowa.

Dax

4 Likes

And witchhazels, forsythia, pecan, black raspberries, barberries, privet, rose of Sharon, elderberries, mulberry, mock orange, ….onions, beans, peas, melons, squash, sedum, ajuga, spiderwort, vinca, wild ginger, bleeding heart, columbine, beebalm, St.John’s wort, hosta, mums, daylilies, hosta, tulips, lilys, daffodils, hellebores, veronica, oxalis, zinnias…….

2 Likes

One thing I have noticed about pawpaw is:…
The leaves , and branches , are what is called distichous …
This means that they come out of the trunk in two distinct rows. , opposite each other.
If you look at the photo that Dax has above, of the tree by the trailer,the leaves are to the left and right ," only"…
If planted as it sits there , the branches will come out in the same direction as the leaves are. Essentially parallel to the trailer.
I noticed this as I was planting some last year, and thought I would turn them so that the first branches to come out would be parallel with the row to make mowing easyer.
I just hate it when I snag a good branch with the tractor.
I believe this strategy will help
This " distichous " arrangement is not so common in temperate fruit trees , more common in the tropical plant family’s

2 Likes

What about daylilies with teeth?

J/k I just wanted an excuse to show off a few of my toothy seedlings from our hybridizing program. :wink:

11 Likes

Wow , those are really pretty.

1 Like

Thanks, it’s a lot of fun hybridizing and growing things out from seed.

2 Likes

Enjoyed your photos!

(I would add that there are already over 10 times the named daylilies as there are apples, though.) So, you breed those fruits, and I will play with something else.

(If tomatoes are fruits, I don’t see why daylilies aren’t.) :slight_smile:

I’ve had 3-yr old cold/moist stratified pawpaw seeds germinate with high percentages, not significantly lower than those collected in the previous fruiting season.

I have a couple of quarts of clean, stratified seed from 2017 and 2018 crop seasons… a mix of seeds from fruits of grafted varieties like Mango, Overleese, etc., and named-parentage seedlings from Corwin Davis’ nursery(Prolific, Tollgate, IXL, etc.)…if anyone’s looking for a quantity of seed. PM me if interested.

5 Likes

Lucky, when you get to sending me a scion of “giant Russian” apple, a few extra pawpaw seeds would find a welcome home on this end.

Removed to PM

I’ll post a summary. Lost only 2 or 3 pawpaw in containers to drought…and have too many seedlings to count. Probably over 50, maybe closer to 100. Half or more from fruit I’ve never tasted. And about 5 from the 10 seeds sent by Kentucky State University.

Several two and three year old plants. None big enough to fruit in 2020.

I’ve saved seeds only from ones I’ve tasted this year.

1 Like

I used PU glue to affix a string to the seed caps of those seeds that didn’t pull the seed cap off in the soil. Worked great :relaxed:… the images are taken over a month! :astonished:

Btw, on some of them, the seedling just ripped off their own leaves while pulling the seed cap off :joy:… they regrew, so no proplem. :relaxed:

Btw 2.0: I reused some soil, and there were obviously some Washingtonia Filifera seeds in the mix :joy:

3 Likes

started my seeds in these. excuse my mess and cigarette

they get a full year in that, protected the first winter to keep them getting to grow. I’m always nervous to plant them out for some reason. the two I’ve planted out so far did great over winter and came back. this one I’m babying and will go out in spring. trying to see if it gets a better start with an extra year in the tall pot.

3 Likes