Pawpaw in low heat Locations

Hello
I am trying to grow pawpaw here in Ireland.
At my location average Highs are roughly 70f with a good few days at close to 80f and the odd day can go above 80F
Last frost is roughly May 5th And usually don’t get any frost until November and sometimes not until Jan/Feb.
Has anyone grown pawpaw with such mild summers?

4 Likes

I don’t think it will work but you can try of course! I am a bit warmer than you but also a short summer location in northern Germany. The best cultivars I have seen so far for short summers are:
Halvin
Kentucky Champion

2 Likes

RLG4 is another I’m adding to my list for early season fruit.

1 Like

@Grumpygardener good luck to you!! :four_leaf_clover:

Never hearda that one …

Thanks for your response I will definitely try as I have trees already in the ground :slightly_smiling_face:I have Halvin,Kentucky Champion,Summer Delight,VE21, Allegheny,Atwood,Maria’s Joy,Mango,Prima,Shanandoah,Rappahannock Belle,Georgia,Sesquhanna and I will graft PA Golden 2, Nc1 and Overleese soon.So hopefully at least a few of these will work.

4 Likes

Thank you I really hope it works as I’ve been putting in the work and hours learning what I can about the nuances of these trees and of course I’ve killed a few too.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Haven’t seen the Variety you mention.Im thinking of trying the Russian variety Sochi 11 when they are for sale again.

1 Like

Wow, that’s a great collection

Red Fern Farm released it this year. I have a bit to work with.

Thanks,
hopefully some will ripen fruit.I am going to grow up some seedlings too.I guess I’ll know in another 4 years.

@Grumpygardener
Welcome to GrowingFruit!

I’d certainly try, esp. the varieties mentioned above. It will come down those that bloom at the beginning of your season and the number of degree days you can muster between May and December.

1 Like

Thank you hopefully I will be able to report back that Pawpaw growing limits can be stretched a little more than currently reported.

2 Likes

I think it’s harder to make it happen if you stay too warm, rather than not warm enough. Parts of Florida, for example, you just can’t do it without finding a way to get chill hours.

Here in coastal influenced San Diego county we have the same or less chill hours than southern FL (excepting the FL Keys). Flowering and fruiting are not a problem – although the successful folks are pollinating by hand.

1 Like

I’m quite sure you’ll have at least some success … fill us in as harvest time gets closer!

1 Like