Pawpaw plants listed for retail sale in the U.S. c. 5/2022

@Richard You commented that you believe it is folly for anyone to purchase pawpaw seeds unless they have a well-designed advanced breeding program in progress. Please explain.

1 Like

ā€˜Danaeā€™s Creeksideā€™ name for Tyler Halvinā€™s wife., Itā€™s in commerce and in gardens.

1 Like

Only the finest genetics wind-pollinated or hand-pollinated. You gotta have only the best genetics to be selling seed for those that have the space and determination to grow them out. This is how new cultivars (may) be selected w/o the necessity to drive from point A to point B and find wild pawpaws with excellent geneticsā€¦ which doesnā€™t happen very-frequently.

The orchards and trees used should have large fruit, low seed count, excellent flavor and are annual bearers if at all possible. These are the traits for the parent trees necessary for seeds to be sold.

Best regards @Osteen & @Richard

3 Likes

@Barkslip @Osteen @Richard
Just buy 10K seeds & plant.
Peterson used less than 1,500 most from inferior plants as he put it.
(Peaceful Heritage & Cliff Englandā€™s) seeds are both hybrids of the best of the best cultivars.
If 70% are inferior, 29% equivalent & only 1% superior, then 100 superior new cultivars achieved.
End of story!
This technique was used on mangoes in Florida resulting in 15 times as many superior cultivars within 30 years.
DNA testing greatly accelerates the speed of success.
But calling the old school method folly is more than overly harsh.

1 Like

Follyā€¦ seems to me like a word of ā€œletā€™s up the anteā€.

1 Like

There are @Barkslip there are many options for improving the old school method other than DNA testing & hybridization.
I have had awesome success on many species simply upregulating gibberellin hormones & inbreeding, then simply selecting the best gibberellin response!
I also ferment juices of fruits until fully dry Zero Brix & then taste for sweetness.
If sweet I have a cultivar that makes glycosides.
I can select intense flavored varietals with low brix which are sweet because of glycosides rather than sugar.
Since glycosides can be a thousand times sweeter than sugar this often leads to superior fruits.
High Brix fruits are often flavor & aroma deficient!!!
Colchicine ploidy doubling during hybridization is also an option.
Combining techniques for a synergistic improvement is also an option.
It doesnā€™t have to be ā€œWell Designedā€ unless you have very limited land resources.

Welcome to the form:
@Osteen @Blake @KYnuttrees @TrilobaTracker @disc4tw @Vid
Are going to be your best Asimina triloba mentors.
Again, welcome.
Iā€™m new to pawpaw, but have plant nutrient knowledge across a very extensive range of species.
Iā€™m attempting to use the knowledge to optimize something for triloba.
Welcome to the group!

Follyā€¦ seems to me like a word of lack of good sense; foolishness. ā€˜An act of sheer follyā€™.

Iā€™m unable to find a cultivar of this name currently being sold by a licensed plant retailer. Do you know of one?

@Richard @Vid @Osteen @Barkslip @TrilobaTracker @Blake
I believe that @KYnuttrees has ā€˜Danaeā€™s Creeksideā€™.
They did a flavor sampling survey on it in the past.

It is a wild selection by Tyler Halvin from Iowa. Englandā€™s may have scion but Iā€™m not aware of anywhere that offers grafted trees. I purchased one from Nolin River nursery before the owner passed. pawpawplanet - Danae's Creekside

2 Likes

This topic was flagged for moderation. We are addressing the comments that were flagged.

3 Likes

I tell ya, I donā€™t care anymore about Folly. I never did. I went on instinct.

2 Likes

@Vid thatā€™s right. Halvin, Tyler sent Danaeā€™s Creekside to the now closed Nolin River Nursrey, Englandā€™s and a third nursery I donā€™t know which.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve heard itā€™s a good fruit. This and his other varieties have been a bit slow growing for me. Might be due to my southern location. Iā€™m hoping to be able to try them in the next couple of years.

1 Like

Youā€™re years ahead. I have Caspian and my Danaeā€™s croaked last summer. Youā€™re right, I couldnā€™t get any vigor (from Danaeā€™s).

2 Likes

Interesting. I bought them as 36ā€ trees and now they 2.5 years later they might have grown 6ā€. Green River Belle has increased 3x in thickness and probably 3ā€™ in height in the same time. All purchased as large trees from the same nursery.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t get any vigor to the bud when I grafted it more than one time. That was my experience with Danaeā€™s Creekside. I got scions at least twice.

The reason John Brittan was able to grow a 36" tree is because he grew his seedlings in the ground and had little/mini excavators dig them while capturing the entire root. He had enough root power to push.

Iā€™ve in the meantime been grafting to 3/16ths bareroot on a callus pipe and trying to pot then after and get growth. Pawpaws are so slow from bench grafts that I refuse anymore. I will grow seeds in place and graft. I was trying to grow for my nursery, but Iā€™m done.

3 Likes

This is why a detailed analysis of traits and a well-designed breeding program over several generations works so much better than haphazard selections from the woods or a few open-pollinated trees.

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailsā€¦ @Richard

1 Like