PD Resistant Wine & Table Grape Favorites

I only found a few threads on PD resistant grapes in the forum so I’m posting a new thread.

The only few Louisiana vine vineyards I’m aware of, including one very close to me, grow either/both Blanc du Bois and/or Norton (Cynthiana).

I found an extensive PD resistant variety list from Texas A&M and have added the variety list below.

What I am wondering is, beyond the two aforementioned ones, does anyone have any knowledge or experience with another variety they think is worth a very small scale try at wine? Also a fresh eating one?

I also know Black Spanish is used for a port style wine.

Blanc du Bois eaten fresh is very spicy and you can’t really handle more than a few, besides being seeded and have a thick skin.

Blanc du Bois
Norton Cynthiana
Lomanto
Wine King
Beacon
Edna
Ellen Scott
Carman
Champanel
Black Spanish
Herbemont
Victoria Red
Miss Blanc
Miss Blue
Mid-South
Orlando Seedless???
Roucaneuf
Daytona
Conquestador
Stover
Lake Emerald

Pierce’s Disease runs rampant in western states due to numerous plantings of host plants for the both the disease and its vector, the glassy winged sharpshooter. What I’ve noticed over the years among organic grape growers: they will first attempt (diligently) to grow PD resistant strains and use organic controls. After about 5 years, their vines have the disease but they are in denial. After about 8 years their site becomes a nuisance and a disease source and the county is suing them to destroy the plants. After 9-10 years the plants have been burnt to the ground and the grower is screaming about the tyranny of the county. All along it would have been easier to use conventional controls, including the phage from U Texas.

1 Like

A good (better?) alternative to Blanc du Bois, is Verdelet (Seibel 9110). Good PD resistance, probably better fungal resistance and should be well adapted there.

2 Likes

I couldn’t find any reference to PD resistance for it though I did find the history and flavor profile.

One mention of it being grown in Texas.

1 Like

UC Davis recently released some PD resistant grape varieties out of the Walker program, but I haven’t heard any real first hand reports–except that one person said they weren’t very fungal resistant.

2 Likes

I’ll do some more research and maybe do something next spring. I’m leaning outwards Black Spanish and making port. To get 3 gallons I’ll need probably dozen vines.

I’m thinking port because it won’t require a special cooler to store and it drinks over a long time since it’s mostly stable when exposed to O2.

My biggest issue is where to plant the vines. My yard doesn’t have much space left…and having grown vines a few decades ago in a residential yard, it raised mowing/weeding issues. And I have acidic soil. I see some varieties are advertised as being alkaline tolerant, but none speak of the other direction.

1 Like

Another variety that should be on this list, is Muench, a Munson variety. I have seen very positive reports saying it possibly has the best quality of any highly PD and fungal resistant grape you can grow in the south.

2 Likes

I’ll look it up… Thanks

Oh I also wanted to note that the black Spanish grape actually has red juice which is unusual. You could make a blush wine from it without using the tannins from the skin, though the flavor profile would change accordingly.

1 Like

I’ve had wines made from the Walker varieties. They were quite good and indistinguishable from pure vinifera wines. They weren’t bred to have resistance for anything other than PD, and the gene for that comes from an accession with mostly V. arizonica parentage, so I wouldn’t expect much fungal resistance.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s too bad as those varieties could have been really useful for SE growers (who are obviously much smaller than their CA counterparts, I get it).

Since I live in a location with little or no fruit production for hundreds and hundreds of miles, it’s hard to get information like this.

Commercial growing is supported by state universities with home growers hoping to benefit from the results.

Not content with giving up, I do my best not expecting much, be it stone or pomme fruit or berries.

Really where I am the only slam dunks are blueberries and blackberries… But those get old after a while and the harvest is over by end off June.

1 Like

I found the Walker series PD resistant grape varieties.

No surprise Double A Vineyards sell them all.

RED:
Camminare noir

This red wine grape makes wine with characteristics of both Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah and is resistant to Pierce’s Disease. This selection ripens early and the berries are relatively large and the well filled clusters are medium sized. Tasting notes include bright red fruit, tannic and elegant rather than dense.

The selection has ranked highly at numerous tastings of fruit grown in both Napa and Davis. Tasting comments: dark-red purple color, bright red fruit, raspberry, cherry, ripe, tannic, elegant rather than dense. The variety is 50% petite sirah and 25% cabernet sauvignon.

Paseante noir

This red wine grape has characteristics of Zinfandel and Cabernet Sauvignon and is highly resistant to Pierce’s Disease. It blooms relatively late , but ripens mid-season. The berries are medium and the clusters are well- filled and relatively large. Although this selection is spur fruitful, it typically only has one cluster per shoot and is more productive with cane pruning. Tasting notes include: medium dark red with purple, berry pie, herbal, coffee, vegetal like Cabernet Sauvignon, round moderate tannins, soft finish.

It has also been ranked highly at tastings. Tasting comments: medium dark red with purple; berry pie, cassis, black olive, herbal, dried hay, coffee, vegetal like cabernet sauvignon, licorice, round, moderate tannins, soft finish. The variety is 50% zinfandel, 25% petite sirah and 12.5% cabernet sauvignon.

Errante noir

This red wine grape has great blending potenital and is highly resistant to Pierce’s Disease. It has a mid-season bloom and ripening period and has relatively large berries and loose clusters. It’s highly productive. Tasting notes include: dark red-purple color, complex fruit with herbs and earth, plum, big wine, dense, rich middle, tannic yet balanced.

Errante noir is a red winegrape most similar to a cabernet sauvignon and has great blending potential. Tasting comments: dark-red purple color; complex fruit with herbs and earth, plum, big wine, dense, rich middle, tannic yet balanced. The variety is 50% sylvaner and 12.5% each of cabernet sauvignon, carignane and chardonnay.

WHITE:
Ambulo blanc

This white wine grape has characteristics of Sauvignon Blanc and is highly resistant to Pierce’s Disease. It has an early bloom and the fruit ripens early. It has small to medium berries and relatively large clusters. It is highly productive. The wines are reminiscent of Sauvignon Blanc and tasting notes include: light straw to clear color, citrus, lime, tropical, golden delicious apple flavors, slightly bitter, textured

Tasting comments: light straw to clear color, citrus, lime, tropical, gooseberry, golden delicious apple flavors; bright fruit, slightly bitter, textured. The variety is 62.5% cabernet sauvignon, 12.5% carignane and 12.5% chardonnay.

Caminante blanc

This white wine grape has tested highly resistant to Pierce’s Disease. It has small berries and small compact clusters. It blooms relatively late and ripens mid-season. The vine has medium productivity. Tasting notes include light straw- gold color, apple-melon, lychee, floral aromas, pineapple, green apple, juicy, harmonious and well balanced.

Has characteristics of sauvignon blanc and
chardonnay. Wines have been made from Davis fruit and ranked well. Field trials are underway at Pierce’s disease hot spots in Ojai and Napa. Tasting comments: light straw-gold color, apple-melon, lychee, floral aromas, pineapple, green apple, juicy, harmonious, well-balanced. The variety is 62.5% cabernet sauvignon, 12.5% chardonnay and 12.5% carignane.

1 Like

I think I will order Errante Noir. 7 vines should be enough for a 5 gallon wine carboy in a few years.

Seems a decent bodied wine grape.

I’ll make do with my yard limitations and grow them on an east west line because that is the only place I can fit them. I can ‘comb’ the canes over to allow sun on the grapes in the late summer.

Razzmatazz was fun but ultimately just a novelty that isn’t worth it.

1 Like

To update I’ve ordered 7 Errante Noir vines from Double A Vineyards. Nice folks there.

Playing now (on paper) with training system. Double guyot cane pruned. Do I go vertical positioning or run the cordon high and let them hang? Not knowing the best fruiting wood count for this grape in my location makes it more difficult. I want to get maximum quality fruit but don’t want to overgrown the vines and reduce size and quality.

My only spot to grow and not destroy all aesthetics of my backyard is east west. I have a 46 foot length in the yard to install. Will need to go with H-brace ends to avoid outrunning the area and removing the image of me repeatedly tripping and falling over the tension wires. :joy: 4 posts total.

I’ve discussed elsewhere but I’m concerned mostly about excess sun exposure since there is no morning/afternoon sun/shade in an east west run row.

I COULD install a north-south row but it would not get sun until 10:30-11 AM or so as it would be 4 or 5 feet west of a north-south running fence. That location would also be the only part of my backyard that can get standing water during heavy rains and takes several hours to drain.

VPS is the simplest to build and train as it’s all in one plane. Posts and u-nails is about all you need. Most overhead double guyot I’ve seen photos of use two cordons at height having each vine run one direction on each of the two top wires. Obviously you need arms installed for the two parallel top wires.

VPS exposes the fruit better for air movement and sun, but with an east-west orientation I would perhaps need a shade cloth for the fruit. I’ve read sun exposure is most important in the early stages of the grape sizing so I could filter the sun exposure after that. Not a big deal as for a single 46 foot row it’s very doable.

Lots to think about and about 4 months before I need to break ground in prep for the vines.

Spoke with the owner of a vineyard along the Rio Grande in Texas. They grow Errante Noir. The gentlemen spoke with me for well over an hour about how to grow this grape, complete with many, many photos.

Nice to know there are still passionate strangers willing to go well out of their way to help someone out.

1 Like

Added soil for my future Errante Noir grape vines…plus some 10-10-10.

Will cover with the weed barrier shown.

I’ll lose some volume over time when the new soil settles, but this should keep the crown of the vines roots out of standing water.