Peach chill hours

June gold peach 650 hrs is leading out / blooming today while earligrande 300 hrs right next to it is still dormant . I am confused what’s going on here… anyone have fruit trees bloom out of order before?

Yes, all the time. But chill hours are not a measure of bloom time. What are the dates expected for these cultivars?

1 Like

By happenstance, there is some related information on this other recent thread.

1 Like

Thanks @Vohd, I had no idea this was possible! I have some research to do for sure.

@Richard, dwn shows earligrande as very early to early, while June gold is midseason bloom.

1 Like

… at their location near Modesto CA.

Is it possible the tags on your tree are reversed?

1 Like

I was wondering the same. They came from the same nursery, so will have to pay attention with fruit this year, as the earligrande should be a month ahead, and only semifreestone.

1 Like

So this is fun; this year, the “Junegold” started blooming in December. It is FULL BLOOM right now, with leaves poking out right behind. We have had a grand total of 200 Chill hours to date… Not even enough to get the Earligrande to bloom. I am beyond baffled with this one, and think i will purchase another “Junegold” to see if it behaves the same. I’m leaning toward mis-labeled. Not a bad peach, but it won’t make it here blooming that early.

2 Likes

Same here. I have a now blooming Smooth Zest One nectarine rated for 200 to 250 CU to break dormancy. However it has already met it’s chill requirements. I also have Smooth Zest Two that’s beginning to push hard. These two will be top worked, leaving one scaffold on each tree.

My chill hours to date:
Below 45 Model: 382 chill hours
Between 45 and 32 Model: 347 chill hours
Utah Model: 421 chill units
Positive Utah Model: 579 chill units
Dynamic Model: 27 chill portions

2 Likes

How do you calculate/keep track of accrued chilling hours? Is there an electronic thermometer that does that for you?

I use getchill.net to calculate the weather data from my local WunderMap (closest station) Interactive weather Map.

2 Likes

I transfer hourly temperature measurements into a spreadsheet. It has columns that register 1 or 0 for various chill hour definitions.

1 Like

Works great … thanks!

Below 45 Model: 53 chill hours
Between 45 and 32 Model: 53 chill hours
Utah Model: -136 chill units

My Tropic Snow has started to bloom out. Usually it blooms out in late Feb to early March. The blueberries usually blooms out earlier but so far they have not bloomed out. 2 years ago they (blueberries) started a few blooms in late November and were in full bloom by late January. Still made a good crop. Not sure if the Tropic Snow will hold off enough blooms to make a crop.

1 Like

This is what it tells me.

Below 45 Model: 2060 chill hours
Between 45 and 32 Model: 1143 chill hours
Utah Model: 1141 chill units
Positive Utah Model: 1227 chill units
Dynamic Model: 68 chill portions

More than enough…

2 Likes

Yep! You can grow anything with high chill needs.

1 Like

It’d be a crime not to grow cherries.

1 Like