Pear buds, blossoms, and fruit 2017

Here is the Drippin Honey and Red Bartlett from your scions 2 years ago. Looking good.

Tony

Drippin Honey

Red Bartlett

4 Likes

Btw, can anyone help me ID this pear. Lucky P. Sent me this scion about 5 years ago as Tennosui but the leaves don’t look like Asian cross European. The fruits has a reddish color but the shape is roundish? I saw the photo of the original Tennosui and the fruits looked like an Asian pear.

Tony

Here is the Origin of Tennosui description below.

3 Likes

Clark,

Magness, Fondante and Warren were grafted on Blake’s Pride the same year, 2015. I had little knowledge about grafting then and grafted them on low branches. They don’t get much sun at all. I will take scionwood from them and re-graft to my OHxF 87 rootstocks next spring.

Duchess grafted last year, flowered and set fruit this spring (so precocious). I had to take the fruit off since the new branch is too small to carry a one pound Duchess. Maybe, next year.

2 Likes

Tony,

Those are bountiful!!! I started thinning fruit very early. I also thinned out many flower clusters before they turned into fruitlets.

I figure the sooner I thin, the more the trees to save their energy instead of feeding the fruitlets that will be thinned out.

Also, 20th century A pear definitely goes biennial when not thin aggressively.

2 Likes

Manuang,

That is good that you thinned them early. I have been busy with work lately. I grafted all of mine pears on super large Cleveland Flowering pear rootstocks with diameter around a foot to a foot and a half. They can handled a large load of Fruits.

Tony

2 Likes

Lots of great looking fruit Tony!

Mamuang don’t be surprised if duchess produces a pound and a half pear. They produce 1 pounders nearly every time and 1 1/2 Pds is not unusual but 2 pounds and up are rare.

Clara Frijs and improved kieffer take a little longer to produce. My little yellow pear takes time to produce good quality pears. The first time it produced for me I didn’t bother to harvest the pears they were so bad.

2 Likes

What’s the taste difference between Red Bartlett and Bartlett? I looked at pictures and Red bartlett definitely looks prettier. If it tastes just as good/better as Bartlett, I would add that instead of Bartlett to my yard.

2 Likes

The fruits on the red blushing bartlett are slightly smaller. There are many Bartlett’s such as max red bartlett. They all taste fairly similar. Tony will be able to give you his opinion pretty soon.

3 Likes

Clark,

Can you ID the pear above that I mentioned. I don’t think it is Tennosui.

Tony

2 Likes

Tony,
I’m having a hard time seeing the picture using my smart phone but I have long heard the rumors around that cultivar. I’ve heard that there are several names and pears swapped around eg. Tennousi, tenn, Tennessee etc. . You can see tenn here http://tandeecal.com/page10.htm. Ars grin advised when I got tenn there were at least two with that name and they have the better of the two. I’m going to look at the photo in a couple of days when I’m close to a computer again.

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5,
Some research was needed and the only reliable source is ARS GRIN and this is what they said “Tennousi - Hybrid cultivar, low chill, fire blight resistant. Open pollinated seedling of Tennessee possibly pollinated by Hosui. Developed by Harris County, Texas extension agent Bill Adams, who collected seed of Tennessee about 1992. The only pear flowering nearby at the time was Hosui. Tennousi may be immune to fire blight. In 20 years it has never become infected in Natelson’s orchard in Houston. Fruit large, uniform, round like Hosui, but with European pear texture and flavor; Ripens well on the tree; Does not oxidize when cut. One of the best pears for the Houston area. May be self fertile. Tree requires 550-600 chill hours " - https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1837425
If you look at the photo here https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1507865 of Tennessee it’s coloring is similar as you can see here

ARS GRIN said this about TENN " Excellent quality, medium sized dessert pear. Reportedly came out of the Tennessee breeding program with Ayres. Apparently there is more than one cultvar propagated as Tenn in the South. This is the good one. It has a slightly pyriform shape, fairly uniform, and has a nice red blush on one side. About 350 - 400 chill hours (commonly sets two crops in Houston). Tree is very large and spreading on calleryana.”- https://training.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/AccessionDetail.aspx?id=1507865. You can see a spreadsheet of most of the pyrus cultivars here https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/20721500/Postman/USDA%20Pyrus%20germplasm%20collection%20-%202016.xls
This is the catalog I used before https://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/catalogs/pyrblres.html which said this about Tenn aka Tennessee " Excellent quality, medium sized dessert pear. Reportedly came out of the Tennessee breeding program with Ayres. Apparently there is more than one cultvar propagated as Tenn in the South. This is the good one. It has a slightly pyriform shape, fairly uniform, and has a nice red blush on one side. About 350 - 400 chill hours (commonly sets two crops in Houston). Tree is very large and spreading on calleryana." - https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?accid=%20PI+617601
Unfortunately the USDA had no pictures of tennousi but pictures can be seen here Pear (Pyrus 'Tennousi') in the Pears Database - Garden.org clearly without much if any red blush. Jon on that site took this photo

We know that picture of tennousi is accurate because we can cross reference it in your article you posted which mentions Dr. Ethan Natelson M.D. The pear expert in Texas. The article Eaton Rapids Joe: A Pear called Tennis Shoe Shows a basket of tennousi From this website http://southernfruitfellowship.com/tenusi.jpg

. We know tennousi does not brown when cut right away as others do. That makes tennousi very easy to identify. It’s possible your pear is Tenn so now we compare leaves of your photos below
Leaves are similar but now we need leaf close ups and time for the fruit on your tree to mature. It does look very much like Tenn to me. If you need close ups of the leaves I do grow Tenn so let me know. Thanks.

1 Like

Clark,

This last 2 photos were the same tree. The half red blush was taken with good lighting and the top one was shaded. From this description, I think Lucky P. sent me the Tenn Hybrid and not the Tennosui. "Excellent quality, medium sized dessert pear. Reportedly came out of the Tennessee breeding program with Ayres. Apparently there is more than one cultvar propagated as Tenn in the South. This is the good one. It has a slightly pyriform shape, fairly uniform, and has a nice red blush on one side. About 350 - 400 chill hours (commonly sets two crops in Houston). Tree is very large and spreading on calleryana.’ That is Good because Tenn Hybrid looks like a good quality pear. The last few years, I grafted 2 more trees of Tennosui on Callery understocks from 2 more different sources, one was from Benny in Tennessee and one was from Tiger in Louisiana. The One from Benny has the Asian type of leaves and the one from Tiger has Euro type of leaves. I just have to waited out and see which one is the real Tennosui in a few years. Thanks for searching and came up with the Tenn Hybrid for me.

Tony

2 Likes

First fruits on my small pear tree. This one is probably Rescue.

The other two are supposed to be either Bartlett or Orcas or Highland.

5 Likes

Getting closer to harvest and the pears are taking their time sizing up. There are some pears there for sure but the crop has been greatly reduced. These are a few of the pears.

4 Likes

I walked through my orchard’s bock of pear trees, and am now in anticipation for the following which have finally set fruit- Summercrisp, Buerre Giffard, Beierschmidt, David, Staceyville, and a couple others. These are mostly 7 years in the ground here on pyrus comunis roots.

4 Likes

My Summercrisp also set fruit for the first time after 7 years in the ground. Also might have a few Patten for the first time.

4 Likes

@JesseS and @maineorchard I’m glad you will know how summer crisp tastes because I’ve got one I’m waiting to fruit. I’m also waiting to here your feedback on the others though I don’t currently grow all of them. I also grow Buerre Giffard and Beierschmidt. Maybe I’ll grow the others after your review.

2 Likes

I got a couple Summercrisp a year or two ago, but made the classic mistake of letting them color up and ripen on the tree…they were beautiful on the outside but mushy and blah on the inside. This year I will pay closer attention and grab them earlier (wish I’d recorded the date last time!)

3 Likes

Pears are sizing up fast!

4 Likes

@clarkinks. I have a low branch on my Kieffer that has four pears on it. It’s getting pretty heavy. I’ve used some tie tape and suspended it from a higher larger branch to take a lot of the weight off the branch. You think that is okay or should I pull a couple of them? We had a storm come through and knocked out 3 pears that leaves about a dozen on the tree that are mostly spread out evenly except for these four. Of course none of those four were knocked off!
Katy

4 Likes