Pears that produce two crops eg. Tenn pear

The pear Tenn is said to produce two crops in Houston. This is what ARS GRIN said in their description
"Excellent quality, medium sized dessert pear. Reportedly came out of the Tennessee breeding program with Ayres. Apparently there is more than one cultvar propagated as Tenn in the South. This is the good one. It has a slightly pyriform shape, fairly uniform, and has a nice red blush on one side. About 350 - 400 chill hours (commonly sets two crops in Houston). Tree is very large and spreading on calleryana. " Pictures can be found at this link https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?accid=+PI+617601. Does anyone else know of pears that produce multiple crops consistently?

See Colette. It blooms and fruits continuously, but can also fall to fireblight because of this. Nevetheless, I know an Amishman in Pennsylvania who’s had good luck with it. It’s his favorite pear. I haven’t tasted it yet. It is described as a sweet summer Bartlett-like pear. I think Raintree and WhiteOak nurseries carry it.

1 Like

Matt,
If not for fireblight Colette would be a good one here in Kansas! Sounds like a great pear for some locations! Double crop fruit trees have been on my mind since I got two sets of blooms last year on one of pears Second blooms. I wound up ripening both crops but one of the crops had very small marble sized pears. The tree that produced a first and second crop is actually a tree that has yet to be identified. This is what’s it’s crop looked like this year.

Clark I have a Tenns (Tennessee) tree from Just Fruits and Exotics. This is what my experience with it and that of a grower I know in North Florida. My tree just finished its 5th year. It’s reputation is that it does not really fruit properly until about six years old. What it has done for me so far and also did with my friend is over produces on about three branches and not even flower anywhere else on the tree. My friend had a good crop in 2015, his tree’s 6th year. He had crop failure this year on account of insufficient chill in N Florida this year. I don’t think he broke 200 hours in chill hours this year.

On account of only getting pears on three branches, I have yet to get a lot of pears. They are quite small. They are very pretty roundish fruit with a bright red blush. The skin is tough and astringent, and the flesh is very sweet but kind of bitter and kind of astringent until ripened in the refrigerator. The fruit is quite small. The biggest ones are about two inches in diameter. I have not noticed them continuously blooming. But maybe it will once the tree fully blooms.

2 Likes

Two years ago I noticed that Southern Bartlett blooms an excessively long time. It starts blooming with the early pears such as Baldwin and Pineapple, but it is still blooming with the late bloomers such as LeConte and Golden Boy. This year I watched it more closely. When it blooms a vegetative shout sprouts in the middle of the flower cluster and grows about five inches and then produces a new flower cluster and blooms. Southern Bartlett is still blooming from these late clusters when most of the later pears are finished. However, this past year I did not notice any pears developing from these late flower clusters. However, what I have noticed both this year and last year, one or two pears will ripen a good three weeks after the other pears and get much bigger than those other pears. I’m guessing these are from one of these late bloomings, but it’s only one or two pears. It would be interesting but disastrous to see if these late flowers produce more fruit if the early flowers are killed by a late frost. Note, I’m hoping not to find out anytime soon. God bless.

Marcus

2 Likes

Marcus,
Those are a nice looking little pear. Good to know a little more about them. The U.S. National Plant Germplasm System advised there are two pears with the name ‘Tenn’. I’m wondering which one your growing. If I remember correctly I saw one of your posts on my NAFEX group about them.

The tenn pear I received from Ars grin is going to bloom again this year. Unless we get additional freezes there will likely be a crop. Remember they said there are two that go by that name and this is the good one. The fruit is similar to what @coolmantoole posted but like ayers more than anything. Corvallis calls this pear PI 617601

2 Likes

I know this is a old thread, but why is it titled
Pears that produce two crops? I don’t know
of any pear that produces two crops.

1 Like

@rayrose

Pears were what I like and was wanting some that produced 2 crops. Had no idea they were so rare. Figured we could find a dozen or so types like that. Could you imagine how nice that would be? As it is I’m not sure we have enough genetics to even start a project trying to make more. It’s like red fleshed pears there is just not much there in comparison to apples.

1 Like

Invincible / Delwinor Invincible has two distinct flowerings and is sold in UK/Ireland as having a backup crop for avoiding late frosts. I’ve one on quince A (+interstem?), one on quince E. The trees are strong and attractive structure, and leaves turn red late season. I’ll report in on flower and fruit this year.

Invincible Delwinor
Eating/Cooking. Very hardy pear, by far the most successful pear we have trialled. Often produces a second sets of blossom which will miss late frosts. Large fruits, light green, becoming yellow when ripe. Light flavour but exceptionally juicy when fully ripe. September to November. Regarded as self-fertile but does much better with a pollinator. Good pollinator for other varieties (pollination groups 2-4). France 1992. Strongly recommended

The first fruit to ripen are green and crunchy but not gritty. The later ones get a yellow flush and become much sweeter, softer and juicier, so it’s really a 2 in1 cooking & eating pear tree.
As an eater, it’s pretty good, with many of the qualities of a Williams. If you live in the North, Scotland, on the East coast or in a frost pocket further south, we strongly recommend this tree.

1 Like

@nosummer

If I get a chance to add this in the future I will. Thanks for the information.

1 Like
1 Like

Can confirm that both of my Invincible pears flowered twice this year, something like 6-8 weeks or more apart, and well after any potential frost. The second set is just forming now.

2 Likes

@nosummer

Keep us in the loop please I would like to know what happens.

@coolmantoole

In my experience so far my trees fruited consistently over the entire tree but we still dont have years of information documented about the pear yet. What you noticed as far as the flavor of the skin is similar to the flavor of ayers skin from the same Tennessee breeding program. My understanding is the same pears were crossed to make ayers that was used with Tenn. The results are consistent. Additional information is documented here Question the History of a pear or know some history? Post it here! - #79 by clarkinks

See PearSpecies
“Originated from a ‘Garber’ X ‘Anjou’ cross made in 1937. Because ‘Garber’ is thought to be a P. pyrifolia X P. communis hybrid, ‘Ayres’ is one quarter Asian pear and three-quarters European.”
It was named in honor of Dr. Brown Ayres

1 Like

Only on certain years do i see some trees produce rat tail blooms and other trees seem to consistently bloom twice like the collete pear. It has been brought up that fireblight becomes a problem which is certainly true during blooming.

1 Like