Pense Nursery

Received order of three peaches and one cherry from Pense Nursery. I can report that for under $80, which included shipping, the trees are all very nice.

3 Likes

Have any pictures? I’m curious what their trees look like.

Will take some tomorrow. They are planted, roots really good still dormant. Boxed well with only a couple very small shoots broken. Labeled as expected, very satisfied.

Here’s some I took before heading to work.

2 Likes

I bought several berry type plants from them last year and they were all very nice quality. I put in another order this year!

1 Like

I also bought some plants from Pense this year and am very happy with the order. I bought a bunch of raspberry and blackberry plants, some elderberries and a crandall currant. Sizes were generally good and all are starting to leaf out, so that is great. I ordered 2 black berry plants and they sent me one that was pretty big and 2 smaller ones. It was nice that if they didn’t have all big ones, they sent me 2 instead of just one of the smaller size. Really, for the prices, I was quite impressed with the sizes of the berry plants, particularly the roots.

The only thing that was a bit small was the elderberry plants - I expect they were just rooted as cuttings last year. But, for 4 bucks each, they were practically the price of an unrooted cutting so I’m still very happy with them and know they’ll establish and grow quickly.

I think they’re great and I like knowing I’m buying from a smaller, family-run business.

2 Likes

I’ve used him before. Used to be dirt cheap. They are or used to be, wholesale growers for retail outlets.

Kind of a small family operation. If someone gets sick, it’s a problem.

I wanted to share that Pense Nursery recently corrected an issue I had with mislabeled variety. I was sent Anne raspberry plants that produced red berries last spring. Just received his free replacement Anne raspberry canes that were very big and well rooted. He’s a small family company so it probably hurts him to eat free shipping. Great customer service deserves a shout out, which is the least I can do to show my appreciation.

1 Like

I had a similar issue with them last year. I ordered 2 each of Prelude, Nova, Encore, Anne, and Caroline raspberries. Novas and Encores ended up being yellow raspberries that I assume are Annes, and the Annes ended up giving red raspberries.

I contacted them with pictures (smaller & less pointy leaves than the others) to see if they could help me identify the red “Annes” and they said it looks like Nova. So I ended up missing out on the Encores, assuming that the rest were correct. They said they would send me a few Encores this spring so that is nice of them.

I was upset about the mix up but the canes grew so well for me that I wasn’t upset for too long. One of the Preludes started producing 2 months after I planted it! I got a lot of berries from them. It could’ve picked at least twice as much if the SWD didn’t hit them so hard.

1 Like