Persimmon Fall Color

Tamopan is a milder taste but has larger fruit size. I know folks that swear by it…. My opinion is that it is a decent variety for making fruit leather. Each variety I have serves a purpose…. For example Korea/steiermark are OK to eat fresh but there are other varieties I prefer for this purpose. So, I end up slicing and drying my Korea and steiermarks for consumption throughout the year.

1 Like

Some years are better than other. This is a good one for the autumn colour.

12 Likes

Is crunchy a color? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This is usually what happens to my trees!

2 Likes

Honan red:

13 Likes

That’s striking.

American persimmon H118 sounds like a keeper. What commercial name does it go by? I saw both ‘Jewel’ and '‘Prairie Star’ listed for it above. I’d like to try it. How long to fruiting?

@WhiteFirFarm I’ve got to warn you. I love the taste of h118 Prairie Star from One Green world. When we got hot this summer, all of the fruit fell out. I got no fruit in the fall. I’ve heard from many others who had the same situation. Garretson kept its fruit, and so did Szukis. Early Golden also had no fruit.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

To be fare, it was all time record heat. 115 F or so here.

WhiteFirFarm, I think Early Jewel and Priarie Star are synonyms for H118.

Edible landscape says it’s his prettiest ornamental tree he has.

1 Like

John Gordon told me years ago in an email that Korp is a sister of Prok, hence the name reversal. Prok is a pseudo-acronym for Persimmon Ralph Krieder (with a vowel for pronunciation). He indicated that both were seedlings of Pipher which is a large persimmon discovered by Ralph Krieder in Curro Gordo, IL in the eighties. Ralph told me that it was a very large, old graft left over from a forgotten farmstead that had since been subsumed into “progress”. The tree is dead and was removed years ago.

Ruby and Miller performed the best for me this year - taste and attractiveness. Usually H-118 is my “best”, but this is its first off year for me in the decade or so it’s been fruiting. They were small, late. and clingy this year. G-44 were small but probably tasted the best this year. Pipher was productive and reliable as usual. Prok was ok this year but even more bland and soft than usual. Muscatatuck and L-128A were the most productive - looked like they had as many fruit as leaves - impressive sight since both are good sized. Deer, coyotes, coons, and possums love them. L-89 is my most attractive tree. I call it my “Dr Seuss” tree since it has that weepy, bent over, languid appearance like a Dr Seuss cartoon tree. The leaves are very large, dark green, and thick as well. This was my first year of getting some Golden Supreme fruits. I like Miller better.

2 Likes

Looking for a persimmon thats as beautiful to look at as it is tasty but find little information online about the architecture of various cultivars. My husband is in ill and is going to be retiring & he has always dreamed of a persimmon tree to look at its his favorite fruit (hachiya). I want to be able to see the tree from inside my house so it needs to have branches that drape or are lower to ground because if they all start out at 6 feet of the ground it won’t be visible from my house because our patio cover blocks the view higher up. I live in san clemente ca about 2 miles from the beach so the summers are cool and lots of overcast. I heard izu has beautiful lacy branches and is ornamental but It appears to be very finicky and myy soils clay and not great. Any sugestions ?

Great Wall had great red fall color here until it froze out. Seems like I recall Saijo being a nice warm orange.
Wabash (D.virginiana cultivar) was selected for its red/purple fall color, but here it is so tattered and leaf-spotted by end of season that it’s virtually unnoticeable.

1 Like

If you’re looking for an asian persimmon with a “weepy” growth habit, Sung Hui, Miss Kim and Inchon are all cultivars that have had droopy branches and very attractive big glossy leaves. Izu has been much more upright for me. You can prune your trees to keep them shorter, but some are more vigorous than others. Giboshi and Ichi-Ki-Kei-Jiro have been two of my less vigorous cultivars.