Persimmon tree surgery

Two years ago I had an unsuccessful grafting experience with persimmons. The rootstocks survived and grew multiple trunks from the rootstock. This year I successfully grafted multiple varieties to the multiple stems from the former failure. I was thinking about digging up the tree in the spring and cutting them into separate plants with their own trunk and roots. That is the plan, anyway. Obviously, that is alot of trauma and exposure of an open wound to the soil. Can anybody suggest a better way to make this work? If I saw them apart, should I cover the wounds?

I suppose I could take separate roots from the rootball and regraft the individual varieties with rootgrafts. That is effectively starting over and would prefer not doing that.

I would suggest the root graft approach or getting some new rootstocks. Persimmons are finicky and will abort branches, etc. Last year in the Cicada invasion, a Rossyanka I had was pretty torn up by the cicadas and I pruned off the worst of it which lead to the entire grafted part dying. If you did such intense surgery on your tree, I wouldn’t be surprised if you lost the grafted varieties on one, two or even all of the pieces.

Any thought of leaving it as at least a double or triple-trunk tree with one variety per trunk? My Rossyanka rootstock has put up 3 nice trunks and I’m planning to put 3 different PVNA types on it this Spring.

1 Like

Good points. I may have to take a hybrid approach. If the cluster of trees all have lower growth then the multitrunk may work. On one of the clusters I have a Prok, which may grow up to 60 feet tall. That would probably not be a good candidate for the multitrunk approach!

Aesthetics will not be a factor with these trees since they will be getting transplanted into an abandonded field.

1 Like

I agree with Zendog, do not try to split the rootstock, likely all will fail because the tree may not be able to heal such big vertical wounds. A multiple trunk tree would be a better bet. If during this coming growing season, one variety tends to subdue all the others, perhaps use additional rootstocks or try your rootgrafting idea to transfer the weaker less vigorous varieties to separate rootstocks.
Good luck
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like