Persimmon

Link…
…**Graft-transmissible agents in oriental persimmons (Diospyros kaki L) in the southeastern USA](http://Graft-transmissible agents in oriental persimmons (Diospyros kaki L) in the southeastern USA)[quote=“misoo83, post:59, topic:1285”]
Diospyros
[/quote]

Ate some Garetson today,
Just a few turning color, just a little bit soft, not mushy,
Actually sort of firm.
I was brave ,no astringency at all, good

1 Like

I have an American persimmon I planted this spring. It has been growing well since May. I don’t have anything grafted to it. I understand American persimmons can take temps well below what I get in zone 7a. But since this is its first year in the location, do you think I should protect it this winter?

I would put a wire cage around it to protect it from the rabbit. It is very cold hardy.

Tony

1 Like

Question ?
I have heavy deer pressure here.
However I can usually plant American persimmon without a cage, and the deer usually leave them alone.
This next year I am planting some Asian persimmons for the first time here.
Will the deer leave these alone also. .? Or what is your experience with deer and Asian p. .?
Things like apple I defiantly need to put a cage around, I just don’t know if they like Asian persimmons ?

Here in my Md yard deer love to eat Asian persimmon leaves and small twigs.

2 Likes

What about American p.?
Do they eat your American p. ?

They ate my Nikita’s graft (hybrid) like it was the best thing ever, then left the native understock to grow out.

Edit: my orchards are protected by high tensile, but sometimes I experiment outside of the main orchard areas.

1 Like

My deer eat every kind of persimmon. I hope your deer are more mellow than my deer :grin:

2 Likes

I don’t have any American persimmon so can’t comment on that.

I’m in a suburb, can anyone comment on how rabbits like American persimmons? I’m sure I’ll cage it to be safe, but just thought I’d check.

1 Like

I have read hunting articles where they tried to select types of American persimmons to plant in the forest so the deer would be attracted and they could shoot them, so I think deer like at least some types.
John S
PDX OR

I planted about 10 American Persimmon and so far as long as I keep a big cage around them they are ok. Looking at getting a Prok Persimmon that is supposed to be female soon. Also, will be grafting as they get bigger… not sure I am able to tell the difference between male and female… Trees that is!!!

1 Like

Prok is female. Stay away from these three at least Bob:
Meader
Early Golden
Szukis

Don’t let the seedlings become trees. You can leave a few branches on it to see how they are when they do fruit, but grafting is the only way to go.

Of course if there are native persimmons in your vicinity, you will have seeded fruit and then therefore I would recommend ‘Early Golden’. I don’t know ‘Meader’ or ‘Szukis’ so can’t recommend or not recommend them. All I know is that all three of these throw male flowers and will seed all your trees.

Dax

Thanks Dax! I plan on grafting to them this spring if all goes well. They should be ready to graft to.

1 Like

One of the best experiences of my life happened this Fall at Red Fern Farm. While collecting/eating Prok persimmons that were all seeded I came across one w/o a single seed…

It was an extremely gratifying experience.

Dax

5 Likes

Making my mouth water!!

@ Barkslip I have meader, and early golden as well as many other varietys ,and I rarely find a seed in any of them here. Also many wild 60 chromosome males around here.
I have heard what you are saying from others,not the case here.
So I don’t know what goes on ?

1 Like

That’s strange. I’ve been told by thee man Jerry Lehman not to have any male flowers whatsoever in my plantings and I will have completely seedless fruit and heavy bearing.

Dax

That is because you and jerry live were there are 90 chromosome persimmons, as are most cultivated var.s’
90s pollinate 90s= seeds
90 x 60s = no seed.

2 Likes