Persimmons, 2019

I will stop by the Asian store tomorrow and look for them.

Was at my local store today. Asian pears from Korea are the only fresh fruit, but I got another bag of dried persimmons.

Rojo Brillante translates directly to Bright Red

5 Likes

Great. Same fruit from Spain with the same name in two languages.

This batch definitely looked riper and has tasted better, so far.

The previous batch was not very ripe, and they wouldn’t ripen by storing in a cardboard box with apples. Some were turning bad. A couple were more ripe and they tasted very good, allowing me to taste the flavor of Rojo Brillante.

Ahmad,
Same thing happened to me. The previous batch must have been picked so underripe. I put them in a paper bag with bananas for a week. They shriveled, not sweetened and the texture was rubbery.
Here was the box from the previous batch.

This new batch looked riper and tasted better.
Here’s the box.

4 Likes

Jay, are you looking for some Rojo Brillante? I go to Russo’s on a regular basis, I could get a box for you, or if you could drive to Lowell, there is a Thai store where I just got a dozen, but few were dark in the inside. I think it’s due to CO2 over treatment. Market Basket have them also for $1.60 a piece, the few I tried were decent quality.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I think I will be heading to the Asian market on Sat… By the way, the Sharoni/triumph that I got last week were super delicious, especially the darker orange, slightly soft ones. To me, they tasted like sweet mangoes, with very nice flavor.

1 Like

The Sharoni I bought the same time as the previous batch of Rojo Brillante tasted better than those RB.

I am, but fairly casually. Which Market Basket have you seen them at? Thanks for the offer on the box, but I think my wife wouldn’t be very happy with me bringing home a whole case! (She’s still warming up to persimmons). And what/where is Russo’s? I’ve only been here a couple of years, but the way you mention Russo’s makes me think it should be on my radar.

1 Like

Russo’s is the fruit heaven in Watertown :smile: @SMC_zone6 can attest to that also.

I had Rojo Brillante at Market Basket on DW highway, I wish the case I recently got from the Thai store didn’t have the dark spots inside them, I would’ve offered you some. I’ve been struggling to finish a case (12) by myself.

1 Like

The Chinese and Vietnamese New Year is tomorrow, 25. This is the best time to find good fruit at Chinese or Vietnamese grocery stores/markets.

3 Likes

I texted my Chinese friend the pic of RBs I just bought. She asked me to pick up a box for her. The last time, I gave her some of my RBs. She shared them with her elderly mother who loves them.

My friend probably plans to give a new box to her mother as a Chinese New Year gift. I hope there will still be some boxes left at the store later today when I stop by.

3 Likes

Here is my 2019 persimmon harvest: Prok, Yates, and Barbra’s Blush only produced a few fruits which
fell in mid September, but were still astringent until left on the counter for a week. Lehman’s Delight
produced over 100 excellent persimmons beginning in early September. Valeen Beauty had about 24
and were my favorites this year. Kasandra had about 20 that ripened throughout October, they were
my sweetest persimmons and dripped juice like a peach. Rosseyanka produced about 24, not ripe until
early December. These were all planted or grafted about 5 years ago.

12 Likes