Persimmons that will ripen in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle area)

I didn’t get any persimmon takes either. I’m hoping it was due to our long cool spring. I’ll have to buy a tree or two. I’m curious how you like Seijo too as I think it is our best bet for ripening here, although that may shift with climate change. Your trees are beautiful.

Hi @Quill,
Thanks!
The persimmons are changing color on a daily basis and looking like they will ripen quite soon. The Nikita’s gift might be even sooner than Saijo. That was also Daniel’s experience (@Bear_with_me) in Battleground,WA.
I will keep the group posted on how these taste. I also have Jiro but I am not impressed by non astringent persimmons’ taste.

3 Likes

Nikita’s gift

4 Likes

Jiro. These are HUGE like pumpkins this year.

6 Likes

Hachiya so good . Too bad not from my garden .

4 Likes

How is your Saijo doing? And other trees?

1 Like

Some reasons all my persimmon trees had no fruit this year Ram. Hopefully next year. When your Saijo ready to eat, would you please let us know how good are they? Thank you .

Sorry to hear that. I will definitely post.
Initial observations: NG seems to be earlier than Saijo and very productive for its size. Saijo is also very productive for its age.
Jiro is also looking beautiful. But last year it was tasteless and bland. I hope it is better this year.

1 Like

So are are PVNA cultivars still good to eat like a PCA even without pollination?

1 Like

Thank you Eric.
I ordered Coffee cake from Raintree last year. They sent me one very thin size whip but some one says it might makes all my others persimmon become seeded so i gave it to my counsin to plant it.

From what I’ve read, my understanding is that Coffee Cake doesn’t produce male flowers itself but is typically grown together with another pollinator cultivar (typically Chocolate) because it’s a pollination-variant cultivar.

1 Like

Some infor. said Saijo can pollenate with Coffee Cake as well. The good point is Coffee Cake is very early season persimmon. Good for all areas have cool and short Summer Eric.

I’ve never before heard of Saijo producing any male flowers. I’d be a little suspicious of that information. You haven’t seen any evidence of that yourself, have you?

1 Like

Nishimura Wase does produce male flowers and can hence make Saijo seedy.

1 Like

I am not sure that infor is correct and if the Coffee cake does not produce male flowers be ok. We will find out. Thank you Eric.

1 Like

Yes I’ve heard exactlly what you said Ram.

1 Like

Below information about Coffee Cake persimmon from http://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/persimmonvarieties.htm
‘Nishimura Wase’
Astringent When Seedless * - Early Season
Diospyros kaki

‘Nishumura Wase’ is an early cultivar, ripening its first fruit in early August. It is pollination variant and must be fully seeded to be non-astringent. It consistently sets male flowers. The fruit have soluble solids around 13% to 15% and are somewhat watery. The tree is well-spreading, somewhat vigorous and a good annual cropper. 3
The fruit is large and roundish. The tree is vigorous and easy to grow. It is called Coffee Cake for its rich flavor and brown flesh color when ripe. Unique spicy-sweet flavor that instantly evokes images of cinnamon pastry, hot coffee and morning sunshine. Coffeecake™ ripens about the same time as Chocolate and about three weeks to one month earlier than ‘Fuyu’. It is a non astringent pollination variant which means it develops its rich sweet flavor best when it is pollinized. ‘Gosho’ and ‘Chocolate’ are the best pollinizers.
Climate Zones: 7 to 10

2 Likes

Saijo finally ripened. They were excellent tasting! Very sweet just like the best Hachiya I’ve tasted from California.
Still waiting for other varieties to fully ripen.

10 Likes

Tasted more ripe Saijo, Nikita’s Gift, Hachiya and Jiro. Saijo is the favorite of everyone in the family by a wide margin. Really the best.

8 Likes

Congratulations, they look delicious.

2 Likes