Persimmons that will ripen in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle area)

I’ve never had a persimmon yet, I’ve planted a few that a very young still. I bought a few from Walmart that were very hard and dry and no taste… they didn’t look near ripe. I’m look forward to some real ripe persimmons in the future.

You might have purchased Fuyu. It needs to ripen well. In my opinion it doesn’t have the same flavor or sweetness of the astringent varieties

1 Like

Very good news Ram. My Saijo were not quite sweet last time and they ripe very late in mid December in cold weather.

Fuyu @ H mart market in Lynnwood .

1 Like

Vincent, Given that we get cold weather in November we cannot ripen our fruits on the tree. We have to bring them inside and remove them before frost. And ripen them inside a sealed container or zip loc bag with an apple or banana. They will ripen to perfection even if they have only slight coloration to begin with. I think nearly all varieties will ripen very well in our area.

1 Like

My Fuyu/Jiro wasnt productive this year but produced monster sized fruit-- each one was 1lb in size, the largest persimmon I ever saw. I havent tasted it yet. I know a squirrel did, because it bit a hole in one of them. It looks very ripe and delicious. I brought it in to ripen yesterday.

1 Like

Thank you Ram. I could not wait from my trees so i bought a lot hachiya from the market and do like the way you just said.

2 Likes

I picked some tree ripened Saijo and Jiro. I take back all the bad things I said about Jiro in the past. No comparison to store bought. They were amazing!
Saijo is #1 as usual.

5 Likes

Those look like they came from Willis Orchard Co. The Clay soil and packaging is unmistakable.

1 Like

Yes Mike .
Some of my persimmons from Willis Orchard .

I have found they are optimistic with there zone recommendations. I foolishly planted some Asian persimmons and Utah Sweet pomegranate plants they calmed were hardy to zone 6.

1 Like

Hopefully they be ok for you in zone 6.
Mine in zone 8b.
You have to reseach more information or will waste your time later Mike.

1 Like

I went to the Hoyt Arboretum in POrtland and ate their seedling American persimmons. One was delicious, the other one so so. Ripe about November10, much later than the selected early varieties in my yard. They also had some Asian varieties that were barely ripening then. I would choose early selected varieties of whichever kind you like, esp. since Seattle gets less heat, and is therefore later than Portland.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

I have also found many varieties of pomegranate that will survive here in PNW but not really flower and fruit unless you want to dedicate all of your best spots to them, which I don’t.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

@JohnS, which are the earliest American Persimmons that you recommend for our area? Are you growing H-118?

I am growing H-118. It is young, though, and not in an optimal location, so we’ll see. Garrettson and Early Golden are both quite early for me, ripening in September in PNW. My other varieties haven’t fruited yet, so I’m waiting.
John S
PDX OR

I’ve been disappointed with my Walmart persimmons so far. I have two varieties and neither are as sweet or juicy. Maybe I’m not letting them get ripe enough. Maybe like a lot of store bought fruit they just don’t compare to tree ripen ones. One is a fuyu and the other I’m not sure. I tried one that I let get really brown inside. None look like the juicy ones @Vincent_8B or @ramv displayed. Thoughts?

1 Like

Do you have any pictures of them Bob?

B

@Vincent_8B Fuyu and another type.

2 Likes