Photos from Kevin's orchard

In spite of loosing most of my peaches and nectarines and some plums to a late frost this year, its overall been a really good year for me. I’ve gotten to taste a lot of fruits from my orchard that I’d never before got to taste. I wanted to show some photos I took today in my orchard. Forgive me for the large number of photos, @mrsg47!

Here is my Honey Jar jujube planted in 2017

My Sugar Cain Jujube planted 2017

A Karla Rose Nectarine, planted in 2016 but is small for its age-probably because it only gets about 1/2 day of sun thanks to some nearby giant maple trees

Close-up of the Karla Rose fruit:

A view of my Chiago Hardy, Brown Turkey, and Celeste Figs. These are about 6 years old but everything above ground was killed in winter of 2017-2018 (1.5 years ago). They have come back well and are covered in fruit this year As you can see, this is the roadside row of my small orchard (my orchard is really 2 separate orchards- one on the front side of my house and the other in back of my house). You can also see several of my other fruit trees nearby.

Below is a closeup- and with a shovel to help show size- of one of the Chigago Hardy Figs shown above. It grew from ground up just last summer and lost its tips again this year, but as you see its a pretty big fig for just 1.5 years of growth (of course it had its root structure)

Here you can see a little bit of my Spice Zee Nectaplum, but also the front of my asparagus patch.

Here is one of my Jostaberry plants. Its 4 years old. This was taken about 10 days ago…they are all dark purple now, but I’m not a fan now that I got to try them!

Here is a 5 year old Elliot Blueberry. I wish you could see the fruit better because this thing is LOADED and the berries are huge. Its my best blueberry year ever. Blueberries have been harder for me than most people…I have to keep adding acidifiers constantly but it has finally paid off.

Here is a 5 year old O’neil. Also loaded with really large berries. This is not the same as above photo.

Here are a few of my Pink Lemonade Blueberries from my 6 year old bush (that I forgot to show). There is just something very strange about pink BLUEberries! But I must say, I LOVE the taste of these guys. They are probably my favorite tasting berries. However, my bush isn’t nearly as productive as others.

This below is my June Princess Nectarine- my most dependable, great tasting nectarine. Its 6 years old. I did thin it a lot, but clearly not enough! This great fruit load is in spite of the late frost that killed most of my peaches and nects! Not really sure why this one wasn’t affected because it isn’t a late bloomer.

Here is my 6 year old Bruce Plum. It is an extremely dependable producer that has really large plums. However, I’m not a Huge fan of the taste. They are sweet and many people I share them with love them, but it just has some kind of taste I can’t describe which I’m not thrilled with. It had a very heavy load but most are already gone. Its always my first plum of the year.

Here is a close up of 2 Bruce Plums off the above tree. Many were larger than these.

The photo below is my 5 year old Toka Plum. It, too, is one of my most dependable fruiting plums, but I just don’t like the taste of it either…I like it much less than Bruce. But again, its just a personal taste thing. These won’t be ripe for a while, obviously.

This Red Rome apple tree is one that has been a lot of fun and I’m proud of it. Look closely and you will see that there is an old, old trunk and one large limb comming off it, with one upward growing trunk comming off that large limb. The old trunk is from a old apple tree that was here when I bought my place. I cut the top off and left one nurse limb. I then grafted a Rome Apple onto a upward growing watersprout 6 years ago (my first ever graft). Now it is a very funny looking tree…just a big stump/trunk then a limb comming off it, then what basically looks like a full size apple tree growing up off that limb. This is a heavy producing tree that grows beautiful, delicious Red Rome Apples.

Below is a closeup view of the same Red Rome tree to show how strange it looks! ha

Here is a partial view one of my rows of grape vines. The top wire broke on the far end yesterday!
There are 6 grape plants- each one a different variety- growing side by side. Some purple, red, pink, and green(aka white) and they ripen at different times. Pink reliance are the first to ripen and my favorite taste, but also more suseptable to insects, birds, and other problems.

Here is a closeup of one of the varieties in the row- these are Cawtawba, which I really like a lot. Everyone should grow grapes! They are a fairly easy way that I get a lot of great fruit for several weeks.

The apple tree below is a 6th leaf Yellow Delicious Apple, which you can see is LOADED. This is also a fun photo because you can clearly see, near the center, a limb I grafted on of a red Rome to help pollination. Its always fun seeing 2 different varieties on one tree.

The tree below is supposed to be Red Delicious, but this will be my first fruit. Its 6 years old and this is first time I’ve got good fruit from it. It fruited before but CAR ruined them. This is first year I aggressively sprayed early and often for CAR, and the results have been amazing on several of my apple trees. Also, whatever these apples are, if you look close on the far right you will see some red apples that are on limb I grafted to this tree a few years ago. I think they are red Roman.

This tree below is a Gala. Once again, its 6 years old but the first time I’ll get fruit from it- and it looks loaded. It also has a grafted limb of Enterprise growing straight up the middle but you can’t really discern it in the photo…but the apples on it are a lot more dense (closely packed) than on the Gala tree itself.

Here is one of my favorite fruit trees and probably my vary favorite fruit I grow: Saijo Persimmon. This tree has always been extremely healthy and lush and a heavy producer of incredibly good fruit…man is it good! I like it so much I bought and planted 3 more last year and top worked another persimmon with Saijo. That will be a total of 5 trees and they get fairly big as you see below…but I’m not sure I’ll have enough even then!!! I can’t get enough of these incredible fruit, and its nice because they are always the last fruit of the year for me (except maybe fuyu)

Don’t laugh at this sad looking top worked (sort of) Saijo tree!!! haha. I basically just grafted a saijo scion to the top of a side limb of a Virginiana and cut the main leader off and tied the grafted limb upward. My hope is the “limb” will become a trunk, but as you can see, right now it is very bowed and flemsey and couldn’t support the grafted-on top without the support. We’ll see if it works out. But as you see, the graft is growing like crazy. It was done last spring.

Sorry for the large number of photos. If you took time to go through them all, then I thank you! Its always fun to show off our trees and bushes to people who appreciate and understand them.
kevin

50 Likes

Outstanding report! Enjoyed the photos and read!

4 Likes

Thanks Zack. I was hoping you’d get to see my jujubes. I think they are about the same size as yours. They do now have lots of tiny fruit, which you had a week or so ago.

3 Likes

Yes! The Honey Jar looks almost identical.

2 Likes

Kevin, I want to live where you live. I think I’d die from eating too much fruit! Your trees are so big and productive. Are those nectarines already ripe or do they color up beforehand? If you color up early, then how can when tell when they are actually ready to eat? Did that little stick of a pear graft ever do anything for you?

Your jostaberry plants look suspiciously like my clove currants. I posted some pictures in the berry thread. Maybe I in fact have jostaberries. The fresh taste did not appeal to me either, but other members make jams with their berries so maybe they’ll be more palatable that way. They were left to the birds last year, which resulted in many seedlings all over the place now.

I’m glad your original Saijo tree remains alive and healthy. Its growth form, and leaves really remind me of a Magnolia grandiflora tree in my backyard. The one I planted this year isn’t doing much and is oozing resin from the trunk. Hopefully it survives.

1 Like

@thecityman @zazlev I think your Honey Jar trees are bigger than mine. At least more dense. Mine did not do a lot of growing last year and it seems to have very sparse foliage. It does have a lot of fruitlets though…

Sure enjoyed pictures of your orchard, Kevin!

6 Likes

The pear you gave me absolutely is still alive and well. It looks very healthy, but it has been a very slow grower for some reason. It’s probably only put on about 20 inches of growth all year, and mostly its just one shoot-not very bushy. Its in good soil and full sun, and as I said, it is healthy and green looking so I’m not sure why it has grown slowly. But I’m still very grateful for it and look forward to watching it grow and eventually getting some fruit from it (I hope!). Please remind me…do you have one of them also? Second thing I need you to remind me of: I know it was a grafted tree, but was the source of the scion a seedling tree? I seem to remember you said someone brought seeds back from the namesake town in China. Did they plant those seeds or is my memory faulty and they actually brought back scionwood? And btw, those Saijo leaves absolutely look VERY VERY similar to Magnolia leaves.

@k8tpayaso that is really neat. I think they are about the same size but mine does look a little thicker. That is amazing because I remember how shocked I was the first year or two by how much faster your tree seemed to be growing. Guess things equaled out. BTW, not sure if you saw my photo, but I just found a dead Armadillo on the side of the road near my house. I know that’s probably every day in your neck of the woods, but its unheard of up here. Please keep those ugly things down there! hahaha. I wont be making a pet out of those things even if they do get plentiful up here. hahaha

1 Like

Kevin,
I am so jealous about the space you have for your orchard. Your soil must be so fertile. Even young trees like jujubes grow so big. My Sugar Cane is a year older than your but not as big or lush. Your and my HJ are the same age but your has more muscles :smile:

Thanks for showing us your orchard. Your trees look great.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I’d love to say its just my growing skills, but in reality I’m sure my trees and bushes grow faster because summers are quite a bit longer down here than where you are. My jujubes really have taken off though. I’m looking very forward to having a lot of fruit this year. Last year I really enjoyed them and I’d almost always start my daily orchard walks at those trees where I’d pick the 3-4 fruits that had ripened and snack on them as a walked around the orchard. If things continue as they look now, I’ll have a small handful to eat every time I tour my orchard! Right now I’m doing the same thing with blueberries- I pick a big hand full and munch as I walk through all my trees. Life is good, fruit growing is fun! Thanks.

1 Like

@thecityman yes, I replied to your armadillo story. I’m sooooo sad that you think our cute little buggars are ugly!!!

Just as cute as a possum… lol

6 Likes

Fabulous!

1 Like

@thecityman Wow!!! Your orchard is huge! Great pics! Enjoy your harvest.
Would love to see pictures of your Asparagus patch when its harvest time (I have never seen one), it looks more like fennel now in the pics.

@k8tpayaso OMG your Armadillo is the cutest!!! Lucky You!

I was thinking something similar. I haven’t had clove currants though, but the real jostas aren’t that great either, imo. Black currant and gooseberry flavors are better off separate.

I’d love to show you my asparagus patch next spring. It’s on its 5th year now so I REALLY got a ton of spears this year. When they are comming up they pretty much look just like the spears you see in the grocery store turned upside down and growing upward. You pretty much have to cut them every single day. But you are right, once you stop picking them and let them grow and start building reserves for the next year, they do look just like fennel.

@k8tpayaso even though I already commented on the wildlife thread, when I came back here and looked at that photo again it made me laugh outloud again! hahaha That is just the funniest looking thing in the world for some reason. I’m thinking neither Armadillos or Possums are winning any beauty contests anytime soon! haha

@N30581 I’m pretty confident those are Josta berries, because I’ve bought them from more than one place and they all look the same and seem to match other photos I’ve seen. I also have some gooseberries and the plants look very similar, but not the same. I had my first black currant plant produce fruit this year, but they all got some kind of fungus/rust and spoiled before I got to try them. Hopefully next year I’ll use some fungicide and get to taste currants!

4 Likes

By hybrids, do you mean things like Pluots, Plumcots, Apriums, and the like? If so, I’ll let you know next year I hope. I have 7 kinds of Pluots that will be on their 4th year next year. I have 2 Pluots that I’ve had for a while, but almost never get fruit because they blooms so early. Spring Satin is wonderful tasting but I loose blooms to frost about 1/2 the time. My other older Pluot is one you won’t recognize name. They taste incredible but I only get fruit about once every 3 years thanks to early blooming.

1 Like

Its a game of thrones possum, ready for battle! I think they’re cute!!!

3 Likes

@thecityman and @k8tpayaso,
Beauty is in the eyes of a beholder.

In my eyes, your opossum and armadillo are …ugly.

I hope we can still be friends :smile:

6 Likes

Great pics and report buddy! You have a great looking place.

1 Like

Hi Kevin. Yes, I did retain a tree, since the fruit sounds interesting. Well, to be honest, I don’t think I’ve actually seen a picture of this pear; I’ve only read the descriptions. Here is a picture of my tree this morning. It’s right at 4 feet tall, so not a particularly fast grower. I want to attribute that to the OHxF87 I grafted them to. I wanted a smaller tree since I live in the suburbs and have more limited garden space.

I think the story goes; someone found an interesting pear at a Jilin market and brought seeds back to grow out. They then selected the best seedling that produced fruit most like the parent fruit and this seedling tree is where the scions came from.

4 Likes

Coincidentally, I just read today that armadillos carry a human strain of lepra (that they somehow acquired a few centuries back). It’s difficult to see whether an armadillo is a leper since their skin is hidden under the plates. There’re 150 to 200 new cases of lepra in humans registered each year in the USA, and at least some of these are attributed to contact with armadillos.

2 Likes