Picking fruit on November 28th 2021

Eating lots of delicious fruits today off the trees. Anyone else still eating fresh fruits? Autumn berries , a few Douglas pears, improved Kieffer, and Duchess d’ angoulme are all ripe for the Picking. I’m extremely fortunate to have these. If your not growing some late season fruit you might be missing out on something good. I’ve posted plenty of pictures of pears but I could not resist one shot of Harrow sweet attempting to produce a second crop. That’s a first time I saw hs do that. If you look carefully at the bottom picture you will see the small cluster of several pears. Any suggestions on other late ripening fruit? Found an Arkansas black and Hauer pippin apple I also ate from the tree but I consider that very lucky and wouldn’t expect that much luck twice! Those apples were pretty beat up! Some pears were slightly shaded and it extended my harvest. I’m taking notes and picking up new tricks. The cold weather could potentially change some pears for the better.

7 Likes

I ate some 100-46 persimmons off the tree today. Tasty.

2 Likes

@SMC_zone6

Persimmons are sweet like candy this time of year. There has been plenty of cold to ripen them up and remove the astringency from the few types people grow that have that problem. Wild astringent persimmons are still OK with me they are packed with vitamins.

1 Like

Between 100 and 46- that’s a lot for one sitting :wink:

1 Like

Nothing on my fruit trees except the lemons, however my neighbor that is out of town for awhile has 2 persimmon trees that are loaded. I’ve picked lots of them for myself (baking) and to give to other neighbors, otherwise birds and rats will eat them all.

2 Likes