Pictures of your orchard today

Thanks,I hope there is an abundant harvest,with everything intact.

1 Like

I doubt it. I’ve seen her on the run and it’s a beautiful thing to behold.

2 Likes

Rosdonald, I live deep in the jungle, a long distance from her, so it never going to happen, but thanks for the warning, I can’t handle “imberrestment “.

1 Like

@steveb4 - My Chicago Hardy grew like crazy and is covered with figs. Like you . . . I didn’t notice them ripening, because it seemed like they went from ‘little figlet’ - to plump ripe figs - overnight!

I’m not really into figs, much. I planted it for my husband - and just for fun.

Next to it is an Olympia. Slower to ripen. But we like them much better than the CH figs.
And our Violetta d’Bordeaux has quite a lot of figs developing . . . but none ripe yet.
After my experience with ‘not noticing’ the Chicago Hardy figs turning brown - I’m watching more closely, now.

@IL847 “Figs take long time to ripen and they need heat / hot temperatures.”
No problem here . . . temps in the 90s day after day. It’s getting OLD! But the figs love it.

Chicago Hardy

Olympia

Violetta d’Bordeaux

A little way to go . . .
Indian Free Peaches starting to color up.

Dixie Scuppernongs

Dixie is my most successful scuppernong. Grew so fast. Now producing tons of grapes.
One of the ‘Frys’ is also coming along nicely, but it is not in quite as sunny a location. I’m not sure which Fry it is. Early or just plain Fry? Tags are buried deep within the vines.

Another case of . . . a term I am inventing - quite appropriately . . .

“Taggravation”.

:grin:

15 Likes

After 3 months of high/temps and extreme drought, now a total of about 5” of rain my rainwater tanks are filled again, good enough for the rest of the year.
What is so rewarding all tree’s are responding with a explosion of new growth, sure a pleasant view. Enough figs and mandarin/pomelo’s for the rest of the season.

3 Likes

Any persimmons this fall Bob?

1 Like

Tony, The persimmon on the mend from 2021 are gaining new growth but do no produce a lot of fruit. Have one big KBS down the hill that had no damage, has a lot of flowers, have not check that tree, will do that shortly since the temps are back to normal, low nineties. So, how are you doing with yours?

Figs? Different story, the best looking start, heat come in early, fried most of the leaves, exposing the fruits and fried them also, not all, still enough . All the trees with no leaves are starting new growth, might start pruning them and nice bushy shorter trees for next season. Good luck with yours.

4 Likes

Lots of American persimmon fruits. 5 potted Tam kam nonastringent kaki are productive. Tons of figs are about ripen. I had 5 Florea last evening are quite good and sweet. This is the earliest fig in my orchard.

Tam Kam

Florea fig

Cravens craving

Golden River side

Socorro Black

The rest of the fig jungle

7 Likes

27 Likes

Unbelievably Cool! @AndySmith

3 Likes

Wow! You are going to have a fabulous orchard. It will be great to watch it grow!

3 Likes

There’s certain special people in this world… & he’s one of them
no question

2 Likes

@AndySmith , what is your spacing? Did you complete the row on the right more recently? I have space to mow between my trees, but as they are getting larger, I think I should do just what you have done

It looks wonderful!

4 Likes

It changes for different rootstocks. My rows are by rootstock. To the right I started at the other end with 10 pear on OHxF97 20’ apart in the row and the rest of that row is apple on B.118 17’ apart in the row. 15’ isle between fence and trees (more on the ends), 6’ wide planting strip for the trees, 21’ isle, 2nd & 3rd rows of B.118. M.111 starts at the end of Row 3, 20’ isle and trees 14’ apart. As I move into the more dwarfing rootstocks the isles and spacing in the rows gets tighter. I still have about 150-200 trees to plant out from the nursery bed and that will leave me with 100-150 extra trees to plant outside the fencing or to sell. In the photo, trees to the right were planted out in the orchard first, moving left adding rows. Everything is alphabetical except for a few crabs for pollination. The larger trees you see in the left row are trees on M.111 from 39th Parallel. Mikes trees always excell. The rows are all mixed up with trees grafted in different years, my goal was to have at least 3 of each variety. I should post a list of what varieties I have (over 150) and on what rootstock. Look for the drone shots I’ve posted, or if you’re a glutton for punishmenbt check out our YouTube channel for 2 video’s on preparing the orchard site: Southern Adirondack Outdoors : Making Maggies Orchard Parts 1 & 2.

4 Likes

Wow, what a thoughtful layout from the beginning! Wish I had been less haphazard but I didn’t know then what I know now. Mine are actually intentionally mixed following the miracle farms idea of polyculture.

How did you order your mulch? Large truckload? Did you put down anything first to cut back grass and weed growth or was the depth of mulch sufficient?

Mine are mostly M111 apples. I did my bench grafts on BUD 9 for a faster return after waiting about 8 years for the first apple.

Super detail. Thank you. I look forward to following your progress.

Yes my 39th parallel orders have always excelled!

1 Like

The woodchips are from a county road project, they were widening the road so a significant amount of trees had to come down. We were still clearing trees from the orchard site but I had started grafting and had a lot of trees in the nursery bed. I knew I could use all the woodchips the county could dump there, so we gave them permission to dump as many woodchips as they wanted. I ended up with a huge pile. We then more than doubled that pile clearing the orchard site, we cut down over 1000 trees, mostly pine, and chipped them with a PTO driven woodchipper on our tractor. I’ve used about half the pile and will probably run out before I get everything transplanted from the nursery bed. I prep rows by spraying herbicide and then tilling with a 6 foot PTO driven tiller on the tractor (thus the 6’ rows for planting). I have quack grass and carolina horsenettle in this field so the herbicide helps knock that back so I can control it after the trees are planted. The chips keep weeds away from the base of the trees and once a season I will spray herbicide in the spaces between the trees within the rows. I’m probably going to clean up rocks and debris in the planting rows so I can abandon the herbicide and just use the mower in between trees, and just weed a bit when something comes up through the mulch. With waste from the sawmill and all the firewood we cut I should have an endless supply of wood to chip to replenish the woodchips. Most of what is in the orchard are trees I grafted myself, but Mikes trees are so inexpensive and vigorous that I buy from him if he has cultivars I want, on rootstock I’m using. I’ve got trees on P.18; B.118; M.111, M.106, M.7, G.890, G.222, G210, B.9, OHxF97/87/333 and Quince.

3 Likes

Great looking orchard. It is impressive and envious to see how you have mulched each tree. Great job. :clap:

3 Likes

What a great find on the wood chips! One year I gave permission to asplundh to dump all their woodchips in our yard. I had a pile that I worked off of for several years. I would like to do that again.

Thanks for the information. I have been using an herbicide annually and I’m on the fence whether to continue mowing between trees The transition will be a big one and a lot of work for me physically.

I’ll try and catch your videos and will follow your work. Thanks so much for the information.

3 Likes

If you ever locate the tags and identify them, make a document in your phone or laptop entitled something like “Backyard Muscadines” and record “east to west Fry, Fry, Dixie” or some such.

2 Likes

One goal I had for grafting was the novelty of seeing different color fruit on the same tree. After a bit of summer pruning, I am finally seeing the “fruits” of my efforts! I realize these are really early shots and not reflective of the large numbers of varieties that many of you have, but they are a first for me. There are many more grafts on each tree, but these are the first to bear fruit.

Here is ambrosia on Virginia Beauty. Ambrosia is still green on the left

Next is Red Delicious with Goldrush near the bottom and Pink Pearl on the extreme left out of view

Pink Lady with Pink Pearl on the bottom left.

Arkansas black with Ambrosia

13 Likes