Pictures: Protecting from the cold, Hardy cactus, and misc

I’d ordered and planted some of England’s new cold hardy kakis this fall. And though they survived around -16 for him with no damage, I figured I should protect mine since they’re small. Which made them easier to protect. Since they’re whips, I put a pant leg over each of them and then wrapped them up in a tarp. It’s more the wind that I’m worried about: -9 tonight and tomorrow but -30ish with windchill.

A less cold hardy, Maekawa Jiro, I think, that I brought inside for the winter. It’s just starting to leaf out.

I got my first order of the season: 7 types of cold hardy cactus that produce edible cactus pears. I plan on planting them outside after they size up a bit, if I can get them to root.

Barkslip was kind enough to send me some Hark pecans. I ate most of them – really excellent! – and am going to try to get the rest to germinate so that I can use them as perimeter trees. Looking forward to tasting what they produce… in 15 years.

And here’s a picture of a south-facing room that I’ve got fig cuttings, muscadines, persimmons, a lychee tree, and some other stuff growing in. It’s not always such a mess, but it certainly is today.

2 Likes

I laughed out loud seeing your 2nd picture of your plant wearing pants. Hopefully, that pair of jeans has lining for extra protection :smile:

1 Like

Looks very neat to me! I also agree with Mamuang about your jeans on the tree. Very humorous. It looks like a covered sculpture court. It is freezing out and the wind is howling!!!

1 Like

Here’s one of the 3 persimmons I protected, all look similar to this. 2 burlap sacks and a grow bag on the inside to keep water out.

2 Likes