Pipe thread sealing tape for grafting

I have been using pipe thread sealing tape wrapped around the graft union then another couple layers of black electrical tape with very good amount of takes in the last few years. Has anyone else using this tape for grafting?

Tony

No,but that seems like it should work fine. Brady

i don’t see why not, though personally would probably have some trouble with it, as i tend to be static-ky, having used it for actual plumbing.
paraffin has always worked pretty well for me.

I have used it on 100s of grafts and like it. I get the 3/4" wide stuff. Just ordered 10 rolls from Amazon last night.

Yeah, I think this tape sealed the graft union real well and kept all the moisture and rain water out for better callousing.

Tony

wow…sounds like I actually did something good before being taught to do so! :slight_smile: I used that stuff just exactly as you described on several of my grafts that did well last year. So yea, it works great! Nice being able to answer a question and offer some advice instead of always asking for it!

2 Likes

When I started out years ago I used all kinds of tape. Some I had to cut off later. Parafilm is all I use now. I would certainly understand why you would use that tape for grafting. It makes a lot of since.

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5

Tony,

Are you talking about the white Teflon tape?

Mike

I would like to only use parafilm which would eliminate having to go back and remove the tape. Have you tried this with several types of graft connections such as W&T, cleft, chip, and T-budding. Removing the tape after the scion has taken is not one of my favorite task. I currently use parafilm and then over wrap with tape to tighten. Thanks, Bill

1 Like

Parafilm is not strong enough for my applications and weather conditions. I use it in my nursery, it does take a few hours to go through and remove it. It will girdle a tree if left on. However I have tried grafting rubbers, parafilm tape, other grafting tapes and they have all had at least one shortcoming.

2 Likes

I don’t do chip or tbud grafting at this time because I don’t have a current need. I have tried it with rind aka bark, cleft, w&t, saddle, side and had no problems accept as turkey mentioned you can girdle a graft on a tree if you have it to tight for to long as with any tape.

1 Like

Everyone’s application and technique are different. You mentioned grafting techniques vary by location. Great points, in our area we appreciate the strong winds and things you deal with since we have similar conditions a state away.

1 Like

Mike,

Yes, you can get this tape from most hardware stores.

http://www.uline.com/BL_6491/3M-48-Thread-Sealant-Tape?keywords=sealant%20tape

Tony

1 Like

Teflon tape is what John Gordon recommends using in his book. I’ve been happy with grafting tape (parafilm), so I haven’t tried it.

Get the wide stuff and double it over. Then when applying pull hard, right near the breaking point. I can get a very tight seal this way. I have also never had a problem with girdling in the hundreds of parafilm grafts I have done.

I use that teflon tape for many things, often its the only thing that will do the job. The only downside for grafting is you need to remove it.

1 Like

Scott if you wrap it 7 or 8 times and it’s as tight as you can get it to withstand strong winds when it’s start growing out it looks hour glass shaped if you leave it on to long and restricts growth like wire or thread etc will. That only happens with whips or similar grafts and is particularly bad when the scion grows like crazy. I had it happen when I through a triploid apple on a rootstock and the scion doubled in size the place I grafted was smaller of course. Once I pulled the tape everything was back to normal by the next year. The wind being strong and birds makes you need to wrap it several times and tightly to keep it in place.

1 Like

Ahh yes I have seen that a few times and didn’t think anything of it.

1 Like

Parafilm is awesome stuff, but when it’s cold outside, using it becomes difficult. I try to keep it in my pants pocket to keep it warm and that helps a lot. Like others here though, I don’t think it has the strength required by itself alone, at least for some grafts.

1 Like

Tony, you saved the day today. I own a roll of parafilm, but it was nowhere to be found. I planted a bare root blackice plum today. It had a branch that wrapped around the trunk before heading out. It had to go and I thought what a perfect way to get some insurance that I will still have a black ice plum next year.(this is my third try). Nobody locally carries parafilm, but I have oodles of teflon tape and electrical tape, Thank you. A couple times I lost my hold on the teflon tape and it unwound on it’s way to the ground, but hey it is cheap. With a little practice I would have less waste.

3 Likes

Someone else turned me onto the white, teflon, thread tape when I first started bench grafting trees. We still use it as of this day. I have tried other things and always come back to the teflon tape.

1 Like