Pixie Crunch apple drop in Illinois - is this natural, due to spray or disease?

Hi folks:

This is the first year I had a heavy set (or so I thought) on a 3 year old M27 Pixie Crunch. Most of the apples have now fallen off. First the stems yellow. I sprayed with sulfur for CAR and surround. So, a few questions please:

1. Did the blooms not set to begin with?
  2. is this how normal drop typically proceeds?
  3. Could it be due to the spraying?
    Please see attached photo.

Thx,

Derek

It is a bummer. I am in a similar boat with Zestar! on M7 after 3 years. It is loosing apples left in right now we are in June. Liberty/G.935 is doing better, and all my other 9 trees were too young to flower.

I think it is is pretty common thing. Those apples look just like my “June drops.” When I cut mine open they usually don’t have a full compliment of seeds. I’m using the same spray program as you, plus have added my first spray of spinosad + NuFilm 17 for codling moth.

2 Likes

I’m saying June drop…i’m losing a ton on my mac

1 Like

Some of mine are doing the same thing. I was going to make a post about it.

1 Like

The yellow stems look just like my apples that will abort after a chemical thinning.

In your case, I’m guessing its just the normal drop, but I can not explain why its effecting so many apples.

1 Like

First year of set often aborts. My King David I thought had its first set this year but they all aborted just like that, sigh.

1 Like

I actually need to go check my Pixie Crunch. Mine are only in their second year in the ground in my orchard. Last year they set a bit of fruit but an errant late frost got them. This year they set very heavily on G11 or G16 (I can’t recall). I was actually prepared to go out and pinch about 80% of the fruitlets off anyway, but maybe they’ve dropped on their own, I’ll have to check today.

1 Like

Any idea what the Cornell style high density orchards use? A crop in year 2 factors heavily in their profitibility models. Is it just “plant lots of Geneva series rootstocks…”? Or maybe they recommend promalin?