Placement of BUD GRAFT

Thinking of trying some bud grafting.

I was wondering about placement. What effect will the branches of the mother tree have on the bud’s development.?

Do we have to prune off all growth above the bud graft?

Is it enough to notch above the bud ?

Thanx

Mike

1 Like

I’ve had good luck with just doing the budding and doing nothing else – for about 2 weeks.

If the leaf stem comes off easily after 2 weeks, that means that the bud has callused and taken.
At this time, you can do a small notch above the bud to force it. You can also bend the top branches of the mother tree down and tie them down to reduce apical dominance. Or lightly prune just the tips to force buds lower down.
I only cut the top branches completely off after the bud pops out.

3 Likes

Thanx

Mike

1 Like

I do a few different ways but mostly i try to match up bud wood with the branch i’m placing the bud on…roughly the same width…or a little bigger (sometimes a lot thicker). i try to notch out roughly the same size as the bud…either removing a bud from the placement tree or just finding a section of clean wood and roughly removing the same bud shape…budwood varies…some is easy to work with and some is very woody (some apricot wood is annoying)…also small buds can be annoying…and most the wood i’m dealing with this year is very small stuff…make sure you wrap everything tight and rubber band it tight… cross fingers and hope they all take…i usually place at least 2 buds per branch and sometimes 3…then i just prune off failed stuff/or extra. I strip leaves around the bud but never cut back the growth above it until the following spring.

I’ve probably placed about 50 buds so far…i’m getting rid of my container trees (too much work/not enough yield/need my garage back)…so i’m trying to save stuff.

2 Likes