Placing my grapes

hey folks. i have a king of the north grape coming in may. my 3 dogs have a large fenced in pen in the back yard with 6ft. galvanized fencing. i was thinking of growing them on the outside perimeter of the fence instead of building a arbor. what I’m worried about is all that dog crap that breaks down in there. they like to do their business near the perimeter. i mean its fertilizer but it may be too much? the dandelions and grass grow very green in there. im probably going to plant it in a mound but the roots will eventually get down into the native soil within a year of growth. what do you guys think?

1 Like

My only concern would be to keep the dogs and grapes separate. Grapes can make dogs very ill after eating. I think that the dog crap as fertilizer would not make any difference.

1 Like

im planing to trellis the vine on the outside and top of the fence at 6ft.so they shouldn’t be able to access them.

Just keep it clear of the trunk foot (feet). I say feet because my grape vine has two trunks. A back up! If you notice some too close move it.

I’m going to try hormone treatment to increase size this year.

That measuring spoon is 1/32 teaspoon (80 mg), which is too much for grapes in a liter of water.
I have to use 2 liters for that spoon. That would make it 40 mg. Dosage for grapes is 20-50 mg.

1 Like

I’m going to keep the mound about a ft. from the bottom of the fence. should be good to go there. it will be slightly downhill of the dog fence so shouldn’t have to fertilize. :wink: never heard of that being used to increase plant size.

Yes, sounds like it should be fine. If not try again! So far I killed two grape vines and got one to grow!

1 Like