Plant identification needed

Any clue to what plant this is…

May be Japanese knot weed. (Perhaps another picture of a mature plant might remove any doubt. It also looks a bit like sorrell.)

5 Likes

Thank you so much I was looking for this and couldn’t find what this is for a while now :slight_smile: :smile:

Looks like invasive Chinese Knot weed.

3 Likes

get rid of it now while small and make sure you get ALL of the root! if you dont, it will take over everything and its damned hard to kill. its the most invasive vigorous plant ive ever seen here. its pretty but trust me , you dont want it. reminds me of kudzu from the same region.

2 Likes

Umm unfortunately well it’s been around forever and before I made my garden, is on the other side of a fence but it suckers heavily. Do you happen to know if any disease hop from these plants to things like cherries especially viruses

1 Like

My grandmother had one she treasured 60-70 years ago. I am not aware of problems to other plants. Japanese beetles like it.

1 Like

Very difficult to get rid of.
Possibly spraying it with Crossbow.
It’s spreads by underground roots.

3 Likes

Yeah how annoying they are every day there ready to be ripped out. The main problem is that they are right next to my fruits so I can’t spray anything harmful.

a quick story. a friend of the family had it in his field where his fathers old house once stood. it quickly spread all over about a acre of the field. he used everything back then to kill it including dumping diesel and motor oil on it. it smiled and kept coming back. finally he paid a professional to spray it. this was 20 yrs ago. thought it finally was dead as it didnt show back up for 5 yrs. then out of now where it started popping up all over the field again. last i heard he tried digging it out which only spread it to a old gravel pit where it quickly established in a low wet spot there. went by there last summer and the field is still covered in it. hes in his early 70’s now so i guess he gave up fighting it. he didnt know the proper name for it so he called it jungle weed. seems appropriate.

2 Likes

I agree with the name, it’s crazy how invasive it is, will digging the origin area out with the roots do anything

Dig it up. Assure you have every root fragment and dry it out in a sunny location where roots cannot touch the soil. Then once it’s completely dry either burn it in a bonfire, that should end it. I am doing something similar with another invasive.

2 Likes

I’ll try but with its roots around my cherry not much I would be able to do, only a limited amount😂

Another approach you could try is to completely cut off the light the knot weed is receiving. Without light it may eventually die for lack of ability to sustain itself! Is that possible? How big an area is affected?

1 Like

I have a thick layer of weed protection and it grow through it, it is crazy, unnatural :joy:, maybe if I stack 10 good layers it will work

Most weed cloths let light thru, try covering with several layers of cardboard or an old carpet remnant, something that provides a complete sun block.

The trick is to drop it in the arctic. At least that’s how Steve McQueen did it back in the day. It didn’t kill it but it stopped it from growing.

Oh, shit; global warming… never mind, I got nothing.

4 Likes

One more thing to worry about: the Blob thawing out. Thanks.

2 Likes

its small enough that if you pluck the shoots as soon as you see it you will eventually weaken it but you will be plucking for a few tears. :wink:

I have this volunteer woody plant that does not resemble anything familiar. I potted it thinking it may be a plum variety but it does not resemble any other plums I have on the property. If you have an idea let me know if it’s worth keeping
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like