Plant identification needed

Hi Dennis. It looks like it might be a willow of some sort. What’s the bottom of the leaf like? Is it hairy with different shade of green?

2 Likes

kinda sorta reminds me of autumn olive…

2 Likes

Hi Stan
Foliage is not hairy on bottom, color is speckled with a white haze
Dennis

could be a Loquat, leaf type is similar.

Hi David
They do resemble the shape but my plant’s leaves are nowhere close in size to the foliage described online:
The ten to twelve inch long leaves are alternate, simple, oblong, leathery, and dark green above, rusty-colored below .

To my knowledge there are no loquats growing near me so I cannot imagine how it started in my garden. My family has never bought loquat fruit to eat.
I will watch it for a year or two to see if any hints appear.
Thanks
Dennis

Loquats are a Mediterranean plant. They can take a little frost, but if you are in the Midwest, its probably something else, unless one of your neighbors bought loquat and threw the seeds outside.

1 Like

Loquats have Japanese origin and are very cold hardy. They may withstand temperatures down to 8° to 10°F. However, the flowers and fruit are killed by temperatures below 27°F. Temperatures above 95°F may negatively affect loquat tree growth.

They bloom way too early for the Puget Sound , but I’ve seen a few of the trees growing locally.

1 Like

There are two plants I’m trying to identify.One is growing at my place and another,among some Blueberry bushes,planted along a city street.
This is a small seedling,about two years old,growing near some stone fruit trees,in my yard.At first,Plum came to mind,but unsure now.No flowers ever,yet.The thorns and leaves,remind me of Quince,but may not be a fruiting plant.

Please excuse the blurriness.My camera kept focusing on the background.
This second one is growing right in with a Blueberry plant.The foliage and flowers caught my eye,because most of the bushes have no flowers yet and are never that shape or color.

1 Like

agree

The first unknown plant is Japanese knot-weed. Very invasive. NY State is trying to eradicate it. I remember lots of it from when I was a very young age.

The second unknown plant looks like buckthorn. Another nasty invasive. It has black to dark purple fruit that birds eat and spread every where.

Roundup treatment will kill both of them but it will take repeated applications.

knotweed is everywhere here and ive yet see anyone get rid of it. a family friend has i behind his house and it spreads every time he tries to kill it. even hired a professional weed eradicator using commercial stuff. thought it was dead then 3 years later it came back up all over his back field.

Pl@ntnet suggests last one may be Lonicera involucrata - Wikipedia

If there’s 2 flowers together in one, it’s probably it. The leaves also have some hairs.

Yes,Twin-berry.That could very well be.I’ve seen a planting in an arboretum.This one could have been brought by a bird or some other way.Thanks

1 Like

I did some reading. Some wild prunus in US have thorns but none of them I read about are said to be in PNW. From your picture the young branch and stem burgundy coloration do resemble Prunus. A closeup of leaves would help.

There is an “Indian Plum” native to PNW with leaves that kind of resemble what you showed, but i can’t find mention of thorns.

1 Like

Putting brush killer on the cut ‘stump’ in full strength can kill it.

Yikes I am glad I am knot battling knot weed. I just copied this from my states invasive plant site. They highlighted this passage not me.

Its adaptation to volcanic sites gives the plants expansive root system the ability to survive dormant for up to 20 years .

2 Likes

I see the resemblance, but the osoberry has no thorns. It’s in my green belt and around my neighborhood.

2 Likes

No, but unfortunately in this case, ITS the dis-ease. It’ll run rough shod over nearly anything short of constant mowing. The roots can travel laterally under paved roads. A piece of root 1/4” square will grow. Bits of rhizome are constantly getting broken off by plow trucks, flowing water, etc. in the roadsides and riverbanks where it often grown, spreading it like a plague. Many of the places it grows are created by humans intentionally or otherwise, and it does provide some of the only ecology in some of the hell strips and vacant spaces in which it also grows. I believe it’s growing across nearly the entire US plus Quebec after about 150 years since it’s introduction. Quite the juggernaut indeed.

There is a chance this is some other related Polygonatum. They can be hard to tell in a picture out of context. Buckwheat, for example, has a very similar look when it’s germinating. Looks like you’ve got some knotweed though.

First one is plum. Characteristic thorns, lenticles. Probably seedling or wild type.

Second one I thought might be Salal, but looking that up to refresh my memory, the flowers don’t appear to match. I see someone suggested a Lonicera. I think that’s probably right. I have wild honeysuckles here with similar yellow flowers, and they have kind of an Ericaceaous look to them. Leaves are opposite, so that checks out too.

1 Like