Planted out tomatoes and peppers

Hey good question! Some people have better luck growing with one or the other. Otherwise no difference. I myself don’t care. I have seen no difference in growth between regular leaf and potato. Some regular leaf types have wispy foliage, often weeping badly, yet nothing is wrong. I hate these plants! I can’t get away from them either. Most paste tomatoes have wispy foliage. Back to Indian Stripe, people like to play, and a heart shaped version is being developed, Indian Stripe Heart.
@subdood_ky_z6b
You know if I remember correctly Indian Stripe has tang, yet is sweet too. It is a small tomato, yet you can still use it for anything.

Today I picked my first ripe Carolina Reaper. Along with about 8 scotch bonnets. Anyway I’m going to dry them all and cutting them in half to collect seed. One needs gloves! Taking the gloves off, I slipped and hit my wrist with my gloved fingers. Well it’s still burning there a few hours later, WOW! The whole peppers are Orange Tree Habanero.

1 Like

For me, I have noticed that my potato leaf varieties seem to be more disease resistant and pretty vigorous. This year, my PL Brandywine varieties, Pink and Yellow, are doing quite well health wise, but as I told @BobVance, they are really shy bearers. My RL Black BW produced more fruit, but got hit pretty bad by disease.

I have some other PL varieties, like Japanese Black Trifele, Stupice, and Watermelon that were somewhat productive, but only the WM is the more healthy plant. My Aunt Ruby’s plants have either huge regular leaves, or may be potato leaves, it’s hard to tell. But, it is another variety that got hit by black spot pretty bad. It was a huge plant, but I got maybe a dozen fruit off of it.

This has only been the case for me this year, so YMMV. I do have some healthy-ish RL plants, though.

1 Like

Thanks! Sounds OKB like something I’ll try next year.

Why would one grow something like that? It’s like enriching uranium in your basement- you aren’t quite sure how it will get you, but someday it will. :flushed:

My plants are actually getting a bit ahead of me. I count ~10 meals/pans worth on the counter…I’ll check with my wife if I should start making her dish (TEV) more than once a day and freezing it :fearful:

5 Likes

Good haul, Bob! Are those green ones those Evergreens you were talking about? What are those what appear to be yellow fruit in the back?

I cut up that OKB tonight before I had my late supper. It was very tart, not really sweet, but had a good tomato flavor. I can’t remember if last year’s versions were similar. I think they had a bit more sweetness than this one, but this is the first ripe one I’ve had so far. I picked another one this evening, along with a Wyche Yellow, but I’m going to let those ripen a bit more. I also have a Russian Purple that I picked to sample later.

The largest green one is an Evergreen. Any other green ones you see could be either a Black Krim or one I knocked off. I sometimes have trouble identifying ripe BK, due to both colorblindness and because sometimes they are green (I think) on one side and darker (ripe?) on the other). Sometimes I knock a green one off going for another and today I dropped one and it knocked another off on the way down…

I think the yellow ones are just partially ripe- I probably picked most of those today. I’ve noticed that if I don’t let them get too ripe, I don’t have as many issues with animals. I can let them site for a few days to finish darkening.

I know the above doesn’t paint a great picture of me as a tomato grower…Unlike with other fruits, I’m not as into optimizing the flavor since they are for cooking anyway. That’s why I was asking about productive and disease resistance, instead of taste :slight_smile:

Some of my Russian varieties have the wispy look, and appear to be frail, but somehow they produced pretty well. I’ll look into Indian Stripe as well.

Those dried habaneros just look hot. I have had a taste of those in a buffalo wing challenge once. I was with a friend of mine about 10 years ago at a place called Wing Stop. They had maybe ten or so different types of wings ranging from like a mild teriyaki, and BBQ up to the more spicier versions, of which the worst was an aptly called Atomic. It was doused in habanero sauce. My friend dared me to try a couple, and I said only if he would, too. So, I got a big cup if ice water ready, and went for it. To minimize the burn, I ate them as fast as possible. It was scorching hot, and the sweat was just popping out of my face, but I finished them. I think after about 10 minutes, and maybe 3 big cups of ice water, I could feel my tongue again. But, I won the challenge, albeit it was kind of a hollow victory.

You mentioned gloves, last year we made about 10 pints of salsa, and needed to cut up about a dozen jalapeño’s. My wife volunteered to do it, and tried to cut them up in the kitchen. Well, the fumes were overwhelming, so she took them outside to do the job. After about 15 minutes, she came back in, after she’d finished the job. She set the bowl down on the counter, and sat down for a spell. Shortly after that, she said, “man, my hands are really itching”, followed by " oh my, now they’re on fire!". I said, “why would they be burning? Didn’t you wear any gloves?”. Says she, “Well, no, I just cut a few up, I didn’t think I’d need them!”. She was in agony, and all I could tell her was to wrap her hands in a cool washrag overnight. It took a full day for her to get over that. Lesson learned the hard way for Mrs Dood.

Oh, BTW, today we made about 13 qts of salsa, with about 20 jalapeño’s. She let me cut them up outside this time, and I used double stacked latex gloves.

Mammal repellent, What I want it for. Some use it for seasoning. I prefer other peppers with long histories of various uses. Scotch Bonnet, Fish, Hatch peppers, ancho, etc. I do love hot food.It’s not that it is hot, it is the flavor of hot food I crave. No other hot food tastes like jerk, it has it’s own burn. And so on, so many kinds of hot cuisines, one could spend a lifetime exploring them.[quote=“subdood_ky_z6b, post:226, topic:6191”]
I used double stacked latex gloves.
[/quote]

That should work. I use Nitrile examination gloves as they are denser, and capsaicin cannot penetrate them. Unlike latex! I also prefer them when working with chemicals.

I once used the bathroom after cleaning some very hot types w/o washing my hands, OI VEY :flushed:

2 Likes

Yikes, guess you did a little “dance” afterwards. Reminds me of a story about my uncle, back when he was young, he was cleaning and cutting some hot peppers and forgot about it, and wiped his hands on his face. Yeowch!

How did your early planting of corn turn out? Did it grow to harvest, or did you have to replant it.

KBX is becoming ripe! Looks like I will have an orange yellow sauce this year! I can’t eat all those! Plus the plant has plenty more. Big suckers too! That’s 15.8 ounces for the big one.

3 Likes

Those look good Drew. How long will it take for them to get ripe?
Here are a couple of Great White’s that were picked a few days ago. They are OK, nothing special.
It’s hard to tell they’re ripe, but they have pinkish stripes at the bottom and they’re soft, so I guess they’re close enough.

Here are some Jaune Flamme, and Dr Wyche Yellow. The JF are very good- juicy, tart and a little sweet. The DWY are fair, think this one might not have been ripe enough. Have more to pick before I decide to cut it from next year’s rotation. The JF are the rounder orange ones on the bottom.

And, for a change of pace, here are some pics of some clouds and thunderheads that had passed by recently. I’ve always been in awe of these huge thunderstorms, how they just seem to reach up forever into the skies. When I was a kid I wanted to be a meteorologist, but I still am fascinated by clouds sometimes. Sometimes after a heavy rain in the evening, the steam rises off the hillside. Looks like they’re smoking. Pardon the clothes on the line, we just don’t use the dryer in the summer much, unless it’s raining, which lately has been a lot.

4 Likes

All ripe now, only a couple days to a day, once they color up, they ripen fast. This is the time they ripen too, so a late ripening type. I think they are citrus like, and I don’t particular care for the flavor except say in salsa. For sandwiches and such I like the reds, blacks and purples. The great whites look nice, minimal cracking, big. On the Tomatoville forum for the orange types, Orange Minsk is a favorite. I never grew it. A Russian tomato.

Pictures of your home and land are beautiful!

1 Like

Thanks, @mrsg47. The house you see in the background is one of two homes on our land. It is actually the house my wife’s family grew up in. I think she said her dad’s dad built the house maybe 70 years ago. Over the years, it was added onto, but it’s still pretty small. We don’t live in it, mostly because it is in a state of disrepair, and doesn’t have enough room. That smaller white building in front of the old house is a cellar/wood shed. It’s so remote here, that they didn’t get “city” water until 20 years ago. The cellar houses an old pump, but it doesn’t work anymore.

We live in a more modern modular home up the hill from the one you see. It’s not really big either, but it works for us. The best thing about it is that has central air/heat, but it is also all electric, so when the power goes out, which is a lot, we’re pretty much out of luck. We had an outage after a storm back in June that lasted about 7 hours. When the sun went down, it got DARK out there. We have two pole lights, and without them it gets pitch black. One of these days I’ve gonna get a generator.

Anyway, yes, we have some nice views. We’re on an east facing slope, so we can see across the valley to the opposite hillside of trees. It’s especially scenic when the fall colors start in, or when we get big snows. Lots of wildlife, including those infernal deer, and wild turkey. Once in awhile at night you can hear coyotes. Or the occasional owl, but mostly all we hear are the frogs in our pond. The skies are very dark at night, you can see the Milky Way all the way across the sky.

4 Likes

Looks nice! I see lots of room for some fruit trees. Looks like your cloths got the Rainsoft this time around. You will be glad once you get a generator.

Do you have a generator? If so, which one? I’ve looked into Generac’s but they’re pretty pricey, and that’s before paying someone to install it. We don’t have a big house to power, but it would be nice to have some back up. Plus, we’d have to have propane tank set up to fuel it.

I know my neighbor across the road has one, because when the power does go out, I hear it running.

We had maybe half a dozen outages last summer, due to bad storms. The longest was almost 24 hours, then it came back on for about 3 hours, and then off again for about 8. We had to cook up some of our freezer meat because it was starting to thaw. Thankfully we had a propane grill to cook the food. Oddly, power outages in the winter due to snowstorms are rarely longer than an hour or so.

Most of my neighbors have whole house systems. We went the cheap rout and bought a Chinese generator from aco hardware. It’s just a 4,000 but it will keep freezers going plus we can use the computers and tv. I think we paid $240 for it on sale. It runs enough to keep it running every time we need it.

Are you and your neighbors where the power goes out a lot too? Our electric co-op services mostly hilly areas, so I guess it’s usually one of the billion trees that falls on lines and takes out power for lots of people downline.

I almost pulled the trigger on a “fuel-less” generator, that ran off of solar panels. It actually was an inverter running to a big lithium battery pack, hence the term fuel-less. So you could use it indoors. Then I learned how much power it pumped out, which was about 0.6kVa, and thought that would be just good for low power eq like a laptop, low watt lamps, etc. Not nearly enough for something like a frig or freezer. Didn’t think it was worth $1600 for sure.

So, I may go your route and find something in between this one and a whole house system.