Planter Bed Construction

Looks like a really good idea. I want to do something similar for blueberry bushes. Luckily I have a tractor with a bucket so it will be easy to dig out for the planters.

2 Likes

This afternoon I finished the trench work. Tomorrow I can start placing blocks. :smile:

1 Like

I donā€™t mean to be a skeptic, but being an Indiana farmer, I just have to ask WHY?

I Like raised beds and concrete borders but would have put blocks on the ground and filled them with dirt.

You have more space taken up by the blocks than you do to grow.

Edit: and what is that white pipe sticking up for?

1 Like

I was raised by the 3rd little pig. :wink:

The blocks will direct the irrigation water downwards. The divisions make the plants easier to tend.

Thatā€™s the irrigation line for the planter. The height is due to the length of pipe I had at the time. It will be cut down to whatever is needed.

Ahhā€¦ So you live in an area that does not get sufficient rainfall so that water is a Premium?

Cool. Good luck, and be sure to post pictures of your result!

Sorry, I did not take the time to look and see that you are in California. I canā€™t imagine how hard it must be to grow stuff in that climate. Like I said, in Indiana we donā€™t have to try so hard.

Heck, My grass has grown so fast and tall that I have to mow and weed whack around my trees already.

1 Like

Itā€™s much easier to grow fruit in southern CA than in IN. Ask Patty. She couldnā€™t wait to get out of IN and back to very near Richard.

Hah, was wondering if anyone who knew me might have picked up on that. Yup - not that Indiana isnā€™t a lovely place, and yes - when spring really gets going in Indiana, I swear you can actually stand and watch the grass grow. But, as far as ease of gardening, nothing beats where Richard and I live, truly. I believe Vista has more commercial nurseries than any other city in the USA with very little pest pressure. We can grow just about anything here if we have enough water :wink: And, we can do that 12 months out of the year. Itā€™s pretty darn nice living here, and being a gardener. NO complaints. And, what RIchard is doing is very smart on many counts - permanency, no attracting termites, ease of use, ease of managing and picking. Build it once right, and itā€™s there forever.

Thanks Patty :slightly_smiling:
I believe the correct statistic is that San Diego County has more farms (incl. commercial nurseries) than any other county in the nation (source: Farm Bureau).

With regard to pest pressure, it is medium to intense due to the fact that there is no hard winter freeze in the immediate area to interrupt or force dormancy in the life cycle.

But otherwise yes, it is a pleasure to garden here.

Checking the alignment and height of the SW corner blocks ā€¦

1 Like

If I go with this height, it will be 2 blocks (16") above ground on the west end and 3 blocks (24") above ground on the east end.

Richard, you have the energy of 10 people. This looks just incredible. Totally bunny proof. :rabbit2:

1 Like

The bunnies are actually less of a concern than the lizard-chasing dog! I will place vertical polls around the perimeter and mount plastic-coated welded wire fencing on it. It will keep out the bunnies, be a safe-haven for lizards which of course will eat a few insects - but the real purpose is to keep you-know-who from trashing the plants on his escapades :smile:.

1 Like

Hahah! I have a couple of those over at my place. Duly noted. Wise decision!

1 Like

Richard Iā€™m impressed at your construction ability. Great work.

1 Like

The blocks they came a two by two ā€¦

Occasionally a little milling is required ā€¦

1 Like

Truth or consequences ā€¦

1 Like

The phrase ā€œoverkillā€ comes to mind - but only in a good way! Those planter beds may outlast your grandchildren.

2 Likes