Planter Bed Construction

I appreciate the effort, energy and expense of these planters.

Personally, I’ve taken a minimalist approach to raised beds. Cut el cheapo redwood or cedar fence boards to 4’, and deck screw them into a square. Put the wood frames in place and fill with Mel’s Mix. Add an olla pot (optional), plant and mulch heavily:

2 Likes

There are eight plants per bed. Water is a premium here and I need to keep the irrigation water focused on the root zone for each plant. The barriers also keep adventurous runners from strangling their neighbors, make it easy to remove one tuber crop and not the adjacent, and in the case of some herbs that rapidly propagate by seed (e.g. Thyme, Diplotaxis tenuifolia) – know which partition it belongs in and which to cull it from.

@Richard

"I see " said the blind man…

Mike

1 Like

Funny how we all find our ways,lol. I tried the fence board method MrClint, and then the next year I decided they needed to be higher. After pricing lumber, I ended up buying the round, metal fire “pit” rings from Rural King for $34. They are 36inches or 48 inches across, maybe 14 inches high and made from heavy metal culvert pipe. Each one holds 7, 40 lb bags of soil/manure/compost if you purchase it. Purchase, place with landscape fabric in the bottom, fill, plant and water! Not such a bad price and they are pretty much indestructible. A friend did the same thing, but painted them, while I left mine the plain metal.

4 Likes

Decomposed Granite as fill dirt? What size/type of DG? That must have cost $$$ Does that work good for drainage and some ompaction for pathways?

Mostly 1/8" plus fines and a few cobblestones.

It was sourced two aerial miles from here – left over from a large excavation. The cost was $55 per 15 cu.yd. including transport.

The plants love it.

For pathways, I installed weed block with 2 inches of 3/4" gray gravel on top.

3 Likes

For outdoor use it may not matter much, but decomposed granite is often high in radon.

No wonder the plants are growing so rampantly!

There were no detectable levels when they excavated for the county building.

That’s good, must not be a lot of Uranium in the granite around there. Up around here, quite a few houses have needed to put in radon reduction/mitigation systems due to the large amounts of radon coming from the soils. One house even had it coming in via their well water.

1 Like