Planting rootstock?

Hi, everyone! I’m new here as of today because my husband and I are starting to add fruits (apples, berries, etc) to our garden!
I ordered some raspberry rootstock from Scenic Hill Farm and will get it in the next few days, hopefully!
My question is, how do you plant rootstock in a container? They will be growing in those until this Spring. Do you separate them? Grow them end to end? Tease them apart? If you have any links that’d be great!
I’m so excited to start my berries! My new boysenberry plant already has new growth!

4 Likes

Welcome Carrie!
I am not familiar with practices for raspberries, but I know that for dormant trees you can keep them refrigerated at about 40 degrees F to keep them dormant until it is time to plant them. I’d image this would apply to berries as well, just make sure the roots have some moisture but just enough to be damp so that they don’t develop mold. Be sure to search the forum for info on the future fruits you plan to purchase before you decide. There is a wealth of information on which ones grow best in certain climates, etc. I’d also encourage you to check out some “rarely available at the grocery store” fruits like persimmons, pawpaws, jujubes and mulberries for backyard trees and gooseberries and honeyberries for bush fruits.

2 Likes

When I bought berries in the past they sent them at planting time for my zone(also 6a). Maybe you could see if that is a possibility.

2 Likes

I’m new here too but not new to raspberries, I have red, yellow, and blacks. They are tuff! You won’t hurt them. I’m sure someone here will chime in with all the information you need. Good Luck with your new adventure!!

1 Like

Could you photograph them when they arrive?

I’ve dug raspberries from family yards to other yards all the time and know what you’re saying but they should be sending them dormant. I put enough of a clump together to make a nice shrub in year one or year two or three. You might get a big neck of a hardwood stem with a mass of roots and eyes connected to that realllllly well, or maybe they’re gonna send a bunch of pieces that you’ll gather together to get a clump going sooner.

3 Likes

…Definitely going to be planting pawPaws! My dad loved them growing up! I hear you need 2 of them.

Thank you so much!! :hugs:

1 Like

Will definitely do!
They’re a pretty reputable business and they are supposed to be sending 2oz. which they say will plant a 5 foot row. I’m so excited!

2 Likes

I agree!

1 Like

You will be planting the rhizomes of the raspberry plant (an underground stem that puts out stems and roots). They will come in separate pieces that you should plant individually. They are cheaper, but you lose a year until harvest vs. bareroot liners. I plant my liners in a mix of one 2.8 cu ft bag Fafard 3B mix/1 cu ft of pine fines (Nature’s Helper, Soil Conditioner, etc) in 4 quart (full gallon) nursery pots. You could easily pot yours in 3 quart (trade gallon) pots, not sure if I would go down to the quart size. Trim roots to fit pots, you don’t want circling roots. Keep soil moist and plants in an unheated basement or garage and you can plant out when weather allows in early Spring. Good luck, and brambles are very forgiving. You will be layering your own roots soon!

Curiosity got the best of me and I went to Scenic Hill’s website and looked at what you’ll be getting. This is a new one to me I have always got bare root plants. Looks like those need planted asap, They had some decent directions there. When your raspberries get established they will send out runners underground and pop up just like your new babies will, sometimes a foot or two from there mothers. Just move them where you want. Boysenberries and black raspberries reproduce by the tip of the plant touching back down to the ground and rooting forming a new plant. Have Fun!

Never heard of raspberry rootstock.

Me either. Just looks like roots, no plant.

I wonder why the put “inspected” in quotes when they say they are free of disease?

I’ve never heard of bramble “rootstock” being sold before, either. I had to look it up. If you’re looking for brambles, I would highly recommend Nourse Farms noursefarms.com . I’ve bought raspberry, blackberry, and elderberry liners from them, bareroot strawberries and asparagus. Highest quality and pretty good prices. Most raspberry liners are $4-5 each for 5, cheaper in quantity.

1 Like

Just a suggestion, if this will be your first raspberry experience, be aware that they spread by root, and if not contained somehow by a prepared bed with impermeable barriers around your new bed, you will be very busy in the future trying to control their aggressive spreading into the remainder of your garden. So I suggest you take some extra effort now to create a permanent border around your new bed going at least 1’ deep. One of the best materials for this border is the corrugated roofing made from plastic fibers at Lowe’s or Home Depot. If you saw one 36” sheet down the middle, it gives you an 18” permanent barrier you can dig into the ground around the new bed, thus keeping your raspberries contained. I would just temporarily dig your new plants in below your frost line until you have your contained bed constructed. If you use pressure treated cedar posts to creat your arbor to support the vines they can be constructed just outside the barrier and give lateral support to the barrier.
When I created my bed, it was adjacent to a large western cedar tree, so the tree roots were very aggressive and kept invading my new bed. So I created a raised bed using corrugated roofing on top of rows of clay bricks to support the roofing, then I used 2”x 16” cedar boards as my perimeter boundary. So now I have an “air layer” of about 2” completely around and underneath my raspberry bed, and no longer have tree root invasion or raspberry root escape! Roots do not grow thru air!
Dennis
Kent, wa
Good luck,