Please i nead an apple ID

Hello everyone! Can anyone ID this apple please? The person that have this tree say this is a very old Portuguese variety, but this can be from other place that some one bring here many years ago… Thanks!

4 Likes

It looks like “White Transparent” but apparently that originates from Latvia.

2 Likes

Yes it looks like it to me too… white transparent is a very old variety, so it’s possible someone bring it here many time ago… maby by the french invasions.

1 Like

It looks like Transparent to me also. Do they have a unique scent?

1 Like

That i don’t know… but i think this men referes a good scent…

this one is very opaque milky and a bit russet on top… WT is like this?

1 Like

That russet near the stem and its small size tells me this is this one https://rozetka.com.ua/ua/102279030/p102279030/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzqSWBhDPARIsAK38LY9XSsz0WUb6ua3BfRdxHftYn7K7Bl8emPVEdoK7tI2_j6DLBKBLL0caAq5rEALw_wcB

1 Like

That’s white transparent right?

1 Like

Bilyi Naliv. White transparent is bigger and is more conical shape. It also doesn’t have russet near the stem.

1 Like

Oh ok. Thank you very much! :+1:

1 Like

Interesting video about it…

Сортотип ‘Белый налив’ (Налив белый, Папировка) - YouTube

yellow transparent. i grew up eating this apple. i have one in my yard from Fedco. was brought to Maine by French missionaries from Quebec. makes excellent sauce and pies. when more ripe they lighten to a pale yellow or white. pomme blanche is what the old folks call it.

1 Like

Yes i agree… but here an old tree of this variety is almost umbelivable! This men thinks it’s an old Portuguese variety… he don’t imagine what he have!

1 Like

we have some that are 200+ years old. they are a old variety from Russia . possible that you have your own native adapted variant of it. the wild ones on old farmland here are all slightly different. ours are very cold hardy down to -40c. they ripen in early august here and dont store very long. we used to harvest the wild ones and my mother would make applesauce to last through the winter. great with cinnamon and whipped cream!

2 Likes

That’s incredible to have this very old trees… soo much history on them!
And yes you are right because this old tree is on Ponte de Sôr. It’s a place that is very very hot on summer and some colder temp on winter. Of course not like in US. This fascinates me! :blush:

1 Like