Plum heaven

Alan,
I have two grafts of Laroda. One on Shiro. The other on Satsuma. They about 10 Laroda plums this year but by the time they were picked, only 4 left.

Shiro gets sun from 11am- 5 pm. Satsuma is behind it so it got less sun maybe, 11am - 3 pm.

I was never able to see a pileated woodpecker until a few years ago. My wife would see them often but for some reason I would always miss them, so a few years ago we tracked one in the park for 45 minutes until I finally found it. Since then, I’ve seen a about a half dozen in the woods, sometimes flying low through the trees. They really are impressive. We get lots of red bellied woodpeckers around here and every now and then I’ll see an official red headed woodpecker also.

1 Like

Looks nice, any comments on the HP and FG? Have you harvested any Flavor King yet?

I’ve really been battling yellow jackets this year. My concord grapes didn’t get hit by frost and therefore set fruit on the first spurt of growth. This allowed them to ripen much earlier than normal, and the yellow jackets have been brutal on them. They’ll eat the entire inside of the grapes and there will be a pile of skins laying underneath the vine. I’ve got a few bottle traps that work, but there are just too many bees. Most of my peaches ripened before they showed up , but they are getting many of my apples. Very frustrating.

I was too from what I tried in stores, and everybody’s opinion on it. I bought a 4 in one pluot tree for FK and FS. Then i ate a DD from my own tree!.The gem is DD, sure King is better, but DD is bigger, produces more, and is much more vigorous. FK is one of the slowest growers. I tasted DD at about 18 and they were great. The one I just had was only 16 or 17 and I still liked it, well loved it actually. But everybody is different.

Yeah I don’t kill birds, although I have, many become trapped in netting. I will kill them at that point. I have relied on netting. Too many to kill them all :slight_smile:

HP is good, has some acid, I need more to give a better opinion, only 4 on the tree. I have one left I want it to be dead ripe before I eat it. The fruit takes a long time to ripen here. It looks very cool going from green to a purple to a red. FG is low acid, quite sweet, rather simple flavor profile. I like it enough to keep it. It could get better. FK was really good this year. I did not like it last year. Too perfumy for me. That was still there, but not as pronounced and many other flavors in some. Outstanding and the winner this year. So a complex flavor profile. The flesh tastes different near the pit, the skin has a taste too. FK in many ways is a masterpiece of genetics.

Yes, I lost a lot of grapes to them too!

I still have Indian Free Peach to ripen here. It’s very late in this zone. Another couple of weeks, maybe. They are starting to swell at last! Raspberries will be harvested till frost.
Indian Free has a very dense fuzz and it’s working to keep the yellow jackets away.

2 Likes

Why don’t you try growing them , then compare.

I’m pretty sure I have a Dapple Dandy graft, it was a scion I got a long time ago which I thought was Emerald Beaut. But after moving it around to various spots it finally fruited this year and the fruits were a dead ringer for Dapple Dandy.

Anyway, they tasted like the store ones but they were a lot sweeter and more flavorful. They were not as good as Flavor Supreme but I liked them more than Flavor Grenade, and they are a very good plum overall. Assuming that’s what I have that is.

1 Like

We don’t have great conditions for pluots. I have a 4in1 in maybe the 2nd or 3rd leaf, I got a few small fruit this year. Stonefruit were a bust for me this year :frowning:

That’s well put, you know not the best ever, but still really good, and the other factors of vigor, fruit set, and size it’s a no brainer. Dapple Jack is supposed to be even sweeter, and Dapple Supreme I suppose is a cross with Flavor Supreme. Which I have yet to taste Flavor Supreme. I have one scaffold. I added two other grafts to it now. One year it set some fruit, and the branch with fruit had black knot, and I could not bear to look at it and removed it. It has not fruited since.
Superior plum one year graft set 7 fruit, looks to be a good setter, but the squirrels got every one of them. So not a taste! I didn’t protect the tree because those 7 fruit was all that was on the tree. I will protect next year. Flavor King didn’t set well at first but seems to set better every year. The most fruit I had was this year. It set well last year too. I think these are 7th leaf now? I lost count.

I got a taste of weeping Santa Rosa and they are my favorite plum,(not counting pluots). Very good!

I’m finally getting brutal with my garden and ripping out stuff left and right. Keeping what fits me, what works for me. All need to decide that for themselves and the location you’re in.

2 Likes

I’m taking out my 3-1 frankenplum. Don’t want the black knot to spread to my prune plums, and I realize I just don’t really like Asian plums much

1 Like

So far only the Flavor Supreme wood got it, one instance. So I’m not concerned. It was last year too, none this year. I hear you about the plums. I’m the other way, I do not like prune plums at all. People eat these? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Delectable! No nasty sour skins

They were for me too. :sleepy:

That’s the best part :slight_smile:
Many are not like that though, well some pluots don’t have tart skin. I do like it myself, adds to the flavor profile. When fully ripe hard to detect on some. What I really love about Asian plums is the shelf life, 5 weeks in the fridge. I eat red currants raw, so plums taste sweet compared to them.

My “Dapple Dandy” had the same problem as your Flavor Supreme, massive black knot. Its one reason it took so long to fruit. My Flavor Supreme was OK knot-wise, probably just randomness here.

Yeah hard to make any conclusions from such a small sample. It seems to be a minor problem here. It has not shown up again. Although now that i said that I’ll go look and see some!
. It hurt so bad to cut off those Flavor Supreme fruits, not even tasted one of them in 7 years. I left a bit of fruiting wood. The tree now has 10 cultivars on it. I did take scion of some to move them to other trees, , still left some wood on. I will do hand pollination next year. DD is on the same tree and no black knot yet.
@ltilton I just remembered Flavor Queen has no tartness in skin at all, brix was 19 for me this year. Very sweet, rather simple flavor, but I like it a lot.

1 Like

You can grow it in your zone, then?

But I’m running short of space and plan to put a nect in where I take out the plum

Nectarines are not easy to grow either, from what I hear. Here it’s no harder than anything else. Many though mention problems. You could graft some on the plum, you don’t need to remove it.

@Drew51, @alan

I think I found a yellow jack solution inadvertently.

This year, the way the weather patterns worked out, with so much rain making some of the fruit “yuck” I was so disgusted that I allowed many of the drops to stay on the ground. I found that, especially on the plums, all of the yellow jacks stayed on the ripening fruit on the ground and I had very little, if any, on tree damage so I continued to leave the drops and other damaged fruit on the ground.

Also, the chipmunks and squirrels seem to be going for the easy stuff and not bothering the fruit on the trees.

I will pick up before winter but for now.

Just my anecdotal observation

Mike

5 Likes

I have found that the more food they have the more they multiply and become difficult to even trap out. If the dropping fruit solved the problem for me, I’d have no problem, but they still go after the fruit in the trees I manage, especially, but not necessarily, if they’ve got rain cracks. If they have to they can puncture their own entry holes in most fruit.

It surprises me what works for you has never worked for me, but that’s the way it goes with Ma Nature. So much defies logic.

1 Like