Poisson, Eau de Vie, et Poires

While going around the Marche this week, I stopped at the fish truck. Fabulous fall fish and many scallops (its the season). Then on to Colette, my wine merchant, where she was stocking the Eau de Vie in every fruit flavor imaginable, so I had to take photos for those here who make their own. And finally for the pear fanciers a couple of shots of the Alexandrine pear. It is very large, very lumpy. I did not buy any to try. Next week. It is an enormous pear.

22 Likes

Fantastic photos. Those pears look like gourds.

1 Like

Love your travelogue! Do you think the bottles to the left of Poire Alexandrine are apple and pear cider?

1 Like

They are pear and apricot. Too much sugar is added, for my taste. I would prefer them to be a bit more natural.

3 Likes

Love to see all the interesting things there!

You should look for some French Whisky in your store, I recently had some and it is exceptionally good. Little is exported but we can get a bit in the states now. It tastes more like a cross of cognac and whisky, two of my favorite drinks in one :grinning:

2 Likes

@scottfsmith

Have you ever tried Calvados? The real stuff from Normandie? Marc

2 Likes

Yes, it is also on my favorite drinks list. Overall I like cognac and armagnac more I must confess.

1 Like

I am not a whiskey drinker, BUT, I will ask Colette, who somehow can get everything but Mt. Gay Rum! Rum drinks during the summer are fun. So. With my lemon tree we have to have do with Margaritas!

2 Likes

@scottfsmith

You must have tried Pineau des Charentes (Cognac and white wine, actually moût de vin blanc)? For plums lovers: prunelle de Bourgogne. As for me I used to enjoy poire Williams but the price has gone crazy and I refuse to spend this kind of money, period. Marc

1 Like

My favorite has always been framboise. Splashed over fresh raspberries in summer.

@mrsg47 : Can you help with a translation from today’s NYT article?
Is it “No to methansier (methane-producer) in the little bramble”?

Thanks! Chris

Eau de Vie!! My God, I’d give anything to find a selection like that!! Nectar of the Gods.

I had a source in Germany for incredible wild blackberry Eau de Vie, but the man died. I hope I get to taste something like it again one day.

1 Like

Non-methanized small brambles.

Thanks! What does non-methanized mean? Organic?

1 Like

Yes. It means, “ 1. Methanization is a biological process based on the decomposition of organic matter by bacteria (or micro-organisms). This reaction mainly produces biogas, a water-saturated gas mixture with significant energy potential.”

Thanks!

No, never had that, sounds interesting! Will look for some on my next booze run.

I have recently been making my own mixed drink with the French Whisky and Vermouth. A French version of a Manhattan (an “Île de la Cité”??). Yum!

@mrsg47

Scallops, pears, and good wine are about as good as it gets.

2 Likes