Polar vortex 40 plus, me O

Polar Vortex took out all my Asian persimmon, all branches are dead. It will certainly built a big burn pile.
What this means, no more persimmons, will not replaced them, been a good trip.
Btw, another collection I grew that’s history, PEARS.
Pears were not part of this Polar Vortex , we had to leave our sold property, moving to Arkansas. Never replaced pears.

6 Likes

I thought pears could handle 30 below zero…they have here…Bartlett for instance, and Keiffer.

1 Like

I agree with BlueBerry. Pears are usually pretty tolerant. Unless they had quite a lot of green growth, but even then if you prune it hard it might recover.

1 Like

I feel your pain. I had 11 Asia persimmon, and it is looking like most are dead. I have one that just started to put out leaves, but the top of the tree definitely died.
Severe die back on my pineapple guava
Severe die back on two peaches that were coming out of dormancy when the storm hit
Severe die back on the rosemary
Pomegranates all died back to the ground
Figs all died back to the ground
1 of 4 pawpaws has sprouted, might have lost the others, still waiting and holding onto hope.

4 Likes

I truly feel terrible for our southern brothers and sisters of the forum who are facing these losses.

I will say that don’t be too fast to pull things. I’ve been sure many plants were goners only to see them turn around and push new growth.

Has anyone heard from Cliff at England’s nursery?

Scott

5 Likes

So sorry to hear that, Bob. Are these Asian persimmons in ground or in pots?

Do you have any A. persimmons in pots that have been saved?

That’s so sad to hear. Maybe some will sprout from the older wood. I’m thankful you shared scions of your varieties with me. They were all successfully grafted or will be grafted this year.

No containers, all inground. Minus 7 was just too much for them. Previous Polar fronts were ok, up to zero degrees were ok. Several days and nights are a Nono.
50 years in persimmons is long enough. Still have plenty of figs and citrus. I have better control with them.Btw, my inground figs took a beating to. Plenty in the works with figs.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Bob. Thanks goodness all my JT-02 hybrids survived the -27F for one night. Are you moving?

3 Likes

Tony I am thinking finding a place close to your restaurant, so we don’t have to cook anymore. Going to checkout the desert menu to, all made from home grown fruits.
Btw, I am glad that I was able to send sionwood to all corners of the U,S,A.
All the sionwood i got from forum members here, are doing extremely well, pluots from Tony, pears from Tippy, figs from Andrew, hot peppers from Podpiper, citrus sionwood from California, Eastcoast, the list goes on.

5 Likes

I lost all citrus in ground (despite protection). Still waiting on figs to wake up. Worried about some potted jujubes and pomegranates slow to wake. Should have banked pineapple guava - they look like bones dried in the desert. Lost a few tropicals in greenhouse as heater couldn’t keep up. Good news - Saijos and 1 Fuyu leafed out, chocolate persimmon has buds. We did bank persimmons above graft.

2 Likes

aap, where are you in Arkansas? I’ve got a kid in Fayetteville. Be happy to send you some rootstock.

7cat, I am on the other side of the lake, close to Eureka Springs. Like to meet him. 45 minute ride. Thanks for your offer, too old to start all over again.
Is your son going to college there? I took a course in Website building,
at 72, I was the oldest in class, 10 years ago.
Texas, got hit pretty hard, more so than me, mine persimmon hasn’t started to bud.

3 Likes

72? Still a baby by my standards (I work in geriatrics). Do what you love and keep moving.

5 Likes

Heard from a friend on north side of Houston Texas…says lost loquats, windmill palms, among other losses from the cold snap…at 11 degrees. I figure most loquats will sprout out from 11 degrees, though…the palms unknown.

Bob I am sorry to hear of your persimmon tree losses. I remember when you use to go by the name of persimmon Bob. I have come to the same conclusion that my citrus tree will be better producers than my apples cherries peaches plums, goose berries, of my figs.

7Cat, I am 82 now, still have tons of things to do, living on a big lake?, is a big plus.
My remaining list of fruit tree’s is still large, decent group of figs, the finest varieties in mandarins, pomelo, Jaboticaba,couple of lemons. Not to forget, paw paws all ready to bloom, maybe a dozen of them.
Veggie garden for wivie, flowers for wivie. Big list.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear this Bob, I’m sure it’s frustrating to put that much effort into something, only to have mother nature take it away… But I’m with @Chills on this one, see if you have any life later than expected. Even if you end up with some rootstock, you could see fruit in a year or two with a larger developed tree, right?

1 Like

What hurts is these trees were beautiful to look at, perfect shape and gave a ton of fruits. My paws are also beautiful tree’s and handles the vortex easy. Lots of bloom, don’t like the fruits all that much.

1 Like

I have only eaten store bought persimmons, and I am anxiously awaiting my pawpaw production. Have you tried freezing pawpaw as opposed to fresh eating? I plan to use much of my pawpaw harvest as a banana substitute in smoothies.