Polar vortex 40 plus, me O

Yes, I froze whole paws till May and they were still decent tasting. Making paw2 ice cream should be pretty good.

2 Likes

I will be happy to eat your excess pawpaws :yum:
Don’t lose hope on those persimmons! Your large trees may sprout new life from the large trunks in May when things really warm up. I’d be surprised if you completely lost them all given their size and maturity.

3 Likes

Might have 5 varieties but none are tagged,when I graft them, I figure, why tag them nobody wants them.
Can send you a box if everything goes well.

1 Like

Guess I’ll have to re-name myself “Persimmon Phil.” Much appreciate the rojo scions you sent me two different times. Sad to say my bad luck/skill prevented any of the first scions to take even though they looked good. Now have several tiny rojo trees. You might remember me as I sent you a 17brix grapefruit along with a flat rate box of any citrus fruit I had at the time.

Rounded up 25 astringent persimmon varieties this year to graft, have 50+ rootstocks. Got most of them from a guy in Huntsville, TX and a lady in New Jersey. He had rounded them up from GRIN or UC Davis 10 years ago when they still sent out scions.

The lady in NJ sent me scions for kuro kaki that she actually got black skinned fruit from. She got it by accident as Edible Landscaping sent her a tree that was supposed to be something else. When asked about it, EL replied it couldn’t have been them since they never grew kuro kaki!

3 Likes

You got to have a large assortment of fruit tree’s. How are your avocados and others. No malfunction this year? It was a treat you send me. Appreciate it very much. Hope you have more luck as Persimmon Phil. The best to you.

I think all of my Asian persimmons are dead as in dead dead… I have a few that I grafted last year in pots that I can put in the ground. I was hoping a few made it but my large trees are crispy and any that are still a bit iffy on the wood have fried buds. @aap sorry about your losses! I sympathize.

1 Like

So sorry about your losses to. You grew some good stuff there. Very nice looking tree’s and fruits.
With sionwood, you can have new ones in 3 years. No biggee. You are young enough.

2 Likes

I just found one and maybe two persimmon trees that are living. Tecumseh has buds breaking into leaves and Miss Kim’s buds look to be swelling and I found green cambium!!!
:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

12 Likes

Great news!
I noticed on mine 2 or 11 have buds opening. 2 have no green cambium, but the other 7 do, so I am hopeful. I ended up loosing 3 of 13 Pomegranates, two that were lost were grafted. The 10 that came back are all coming back from roots, so thankfully most of them were grown on own roots.
Both Loquats are putting out new growth near the bottom of the tree too, not sure if they are worth keeping since they are such slow growers though.

4 Likes

Massive root system should push good growth.

3 Likes

Okay, I’ve been whining a lot about my losses. I beg forgiveness. BUT…

I am finding some life in my Eureka and two of the Tam Kam persimmons. Will this growth continue? Will it eventually be productive? I know it all remains to be seen but what do y’all think. On the Tam Kams the growth is really low but above the graft.

Eureka: highest growth is 2’+ above graft in the lower branches.

Tam Kam x 2: tiny growth and green cambium on lower trunk above graft before branching begins. These are small trees grafted in 2018.

Can I get my hopes up?

14 Likes

Hooray, see live again. Happy for you. Hope them grow into big trees and have treeful of fruits

2 Likes

They should be able to come back, no fruit this year though, and maybe not even next year. I just noticed the same with one of mine, just green buds above the graft. still waiting on the other 7.

2 Likes

Great news! I would wait until mid Spring and prune of all the dead trunk above. Those buds will head to the sky due to the large roots. Good luck.

5 Likes

I am going to try and re-invest in persimmon this winter. Can anyone help with me with a top 3 best tasting? I am really curious and wanting to try coffee cake (Nishimura), but want to make sure my next attempt is really worth the effort.
3/13 survived for me, but we have another freak frost predicted this week which could even do these three in. All of my persimmon trees are young, the oldest is only 1 year in the ground, so nothing is properly established yet.

So I plan to get some persimmon established, but will reuse some of the land for more hardy fruits like Jujube, Pomegranates, and plums. Might even try some hazelnuts.

1 Like

Have you checked yours again lately. Some of mine are sprouting just above the graft… hopefully they will grow back.

1 Like

I’m in Plano. Saijo is definitely hardy here, recovered well after terrible freeze. Nikita’s Gift, Chocolate and Coffeecake also survived with banking. Not sure my fuyus have survived though. Honan Red is barely leafing out. Only 1 of pomegranates survived - Parfianka.

3 Likes

Miss Kim survived my -2 (or lower) and is leafing out fully. Tecumseh had minimal tip die back and is leafing out. Two Saijo are sprouting. My Chinebuli is sprouting. Also Pen. Eureka small and large is looking good. They’ve all got a long way to go but are really working at it.

3 Likes

I have two confirmed dead (completely grey bark and no green cambium). the others still have green cambium, but I check them twice daily for any sight of growth. So far nothing. I called the only nursery within an hour of me that carries named varieties of persimmon, and they are not willing to sell what they have. Apparently their shipment came in just before the storm(s) and are in the same condition as my trees (green cambium, but no growth).
Coffeecake and Chocolate were probably top of my list to replant. I have been kicking around the idea of Nikita’s gift since it is much more hardy.
@7catcmom, could you give me your opinion on how coffeecake taste? does it really have the spice notes that they use in the sales description?

2 Likes

Wish I could tell you about taste. Haven’t had fruit from Coffeecake or Chocolate yet. Have Chocolate flowers this year though. I have tasted homegrown fuyu around here that had lots of brown speckled flesh, tasted spicy like cinnamon. I ordered some hardier replacements from Edible Landscaping.

1 Like