Pollination partner for Wells pawpaw in PA

Hi all, new here and have a question.i have an Overlease and a Wells pawpaw. I have had them for about 8 years. I usually hand pollinate, but the Wells typically flowers a couple weeks before the Overlease, this makes it difficult to get the Wells pollinated in time. So, the Overlease is generally well fruited and the way Wells sparsely fruited.
It seems the older these trees get the more distance there is around flowering. (This year is almost a total loss due to a defoliating hail storm during flowering, I may get a couple dozen fruits😥 last year I had over 150.
Anyway, I am in central PA and am looking for a good pollinating partner for my Wells, something that should flower around the same time (early). I can continue to save pollen from the Wells to pollinate the later flowering Overlease but would like to have pollen available fresh for the Wells.
Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Here is a link that is relevant .
The problem is that it shows wells blooming later than Overlees .
So ? Not sure what’s up here ? Mixed up tags somewhere ?
http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/ppf/Pomper%20et%20al.%2062(3).pdf

1 Like

Thank you for the link, it seems this is what I thought when I purchased them, the fruits are typical of each variety on the trees, but the blooming time is definitely off by over two weeks. I suppose there could have been a mislabeling at the nursery. I think I am going to get a PA Gokden to help with pollination.

2 Likes