Pomegranates in Georgia

There is a Pom. Planting at the university of Georgia , Tiffton.
Many varietys lots of fruit, but they have lost track of the map for the planting, so unless they have found the map, variety location is unknown .
Still worth a look.!

1 Like

Why not put the barrel on the south side to soak up some sun during the day.

Even if they survive the cold, I can tell you they hate soggy feet. They thrive here in inland NorCal in more arid inland locations. They don’t do nearly as well near the coast.

That may work very well. I keep them on the north side of my citrus trees to help block the north winds off the tree trunks, but on these, the south may be best, especially in the spring. I may try that myself, since they will be covered also.

TFN

Planting near a house will actually increase the risk of a spring frost dieback issue. Because the chill hour requirements are so low they will then start accumulating heat units to break dormancy. Near a house, particularly S or E facing wall they will accumulate these heat units even faster. Had this happen to mine in N. GA. Move them out to a fully exposed area last fall and think it helped. We hit 28 degrees in consecutive nights around april 20 and did not faze them.

Mine are out in the open. They leafed out in Feb. and got froze out in March last 2 years in a row here in middle Georgia. Wild and crazy weather don’t help.

TFN

I live south of Warner Robins and both my plants have grown diseased fruits for the past 2 years. I am thinking of transplanting them to another area over a raised bed, but wonder if the disease will follow because of the humid weather. Were you able to grow fruit without the rot?

We had a bad drought this year and was able to ripen a few pomegranates. Lost about half to rot which is much better than a normal year.

2 Likes

What kind of disease are you getting? Is it a soft rot, usually at the bottom? Or is a disease on the rind of the pomegranates? Or is the a dry heart rot on the inside of the fruit.

Have you tried “accidentally” spraying your pomegranate trees with copper fungicides at bloom?

1 Like