Post Harvest Eating Report - GOOD EATS

Storing after harvest, especially apples, can have a material effect on the taste and tooth of the fruit. I thought that maybe we can get an ongoing report of the results as we take these out of storage.

So here goes.

ROXBURY RUSSETT: ZONE 5b

I picked mine the weekend of September 19. I placed them in a plastic bag loosely closed and put them in the bottom shelf of my kitchen fridge.

Today I sampled 2 of them: They were juicy, still very crisp. It was very sweet ( I will post brix later from the next sample) and sour/tart. Had that good apple flavor wrapped in the sweetness and sourness that I love.

MIke

3 Likes

I pulled out a Maigold this evening that I put in 3-4 weeks ago. It is very crisp and has a unique spice/citrus flavor I cannot describe well. More cellar time is probably needed on it, there was still a hint of starch in it - Maigold is a real keeper. Its not my favorite apple but I enjoy its unique flavor every year. The apples also look very nice. Its one of the many nice apples out there that few people grow.

BRIX - FOLLOW-UP ON ROXBURY RUSSETT

October 28, 2015 - I measured the brix on two different sized samples. The brix on each was between 16 and 17.

The “brix” measurement aside it “tasted” fantastic with the lip puckering sour/sweetness.

Thoroughly enjoyable and I guess… that is what counts.

Mike

1 Like