Precocious Asian pear

Harrow sweat is said to be very precocious. Some report fruit at 2nd leaf. Are there any Asian pears that may be as precocious ? I do not want to weight 5 or 6 years . I need a precocious, fire blight resistant Asian pear. for the south east U.S. Thanks all,

1 Like

Think you would be happy with Korean Giant.

2 Likes

My 4-in-1 grafted Asian Pear from Raintree produced fruit the year I planted it. Shinseiki has been the most productive on that tree. Here is a link: Newly planted Asian pear tree fruiting. Also, some Shinseiki grafts on another tree produced fruit the second year for me. Regarding fireblight, this link says: *Shinseiki Asian Pear trees are not immune to this disease, but they do have a higher resistance against it . https://www.brighterblooms.com/product/shinseiki-asian-pear.html

Generally speaking Asian pears are precocious. All mine have produced in year 3. Rootstocks are all OHxF.

Fire blight resistant can be regional, too. The one variety that is often talked about being fire blight resistant is Shinko. Some love the taste. Mine was not good.

Korean Giant is well liked by almost everyone for excellent taste, crunch and large size. Good fire blight resistance but not in every region.

2 Likes

I have Hosui and Twentieth century growing in central Ga. Second year in ground and got a couple dozen fruit from each. No sprays no pests. Both tasted very good. No fire blight…YET. Got them from Willis Nursery.

TFN

1 Like

Thanks to all of you . Good suggestions. I think that I may try to graft a few pear scion on calleryana root stock with Harrow Sweet interstem .

1 Like

Good idea using HS as an interstem. I’m going to add a few limbs HS interstems and see if I can get faster fruiting and some dwarfing.

From my limited observations Korean Giant fruits early but the tree tends to grow faster than other Asian pears.